Chapter 23 (Catherine)

I arrive at Skull Rock, Peter wrapped in my arms. He is still unconscious and is growing paler by the minute. I lay him gently against a wall of the cave and look around, searching for any sign of magic.

I round a corner and gasp at the sight. There, at the end of the cave, stands a gigantic hourglass that contains a sparkling dust. And almost all the dust has fallen to the bottom.

I run over to the towering timer and search around the base for anything that would give me a clue as to what to do. After circling the hourglass, I find a small hole in the front of the base that resembles a key hole.

I scramble back to Peter, knowing that if in fact it needed a key to unlock it, he would have it. I know this because he is one who would never let something of such great importance out of his sight.

I search through his numerous pockets until I find what I'm looking for. It's a skeleton-shaped key that looks as if it will fit in the hole in the hourglass. I hurry back to the key hole to test my theory and after I place the key into the lock, I hear a click and grin with satisfaction.

I take a step back, but nothing happens. Of course it couldn't be that easy. Nothing is ever that easy.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair. I'm running out of time.

I close my eyes and try to calm my nerves. When I reopen them, I notice something about the lock that I hadn't earlier.

Next to the key hole is a small symbol that depicts a small person with their hand covering their mouth, almost as if they were whispering something to the keyhole. I then understand that to open the door, I have to tell the lock what I'm willing to do.

I kneel down in front of the hole so that it can hear me when I whisper, "I am willing to die for him."

For a moment, nothing happens and I start to worry that it won't work. Then, a little door with a handle then appears in the base of the hourglass and it swings open with a small sigh. A drawer then rolls out and inside it is a tiny purple cushion that has an imprint of a heart in it.

I now understand what is required of me and I look down at my feet. As if sensing my reluctance, the drawer begins to close.

"No, wait! Don't go!" I scream and it slowly begins to re-open again. I think for a little longer on what I have to do and the drawer waits patiently for me to do something.

"Hold on a sec. I'll be right back," I say to the drawer and then hurry back to Peter's side.

When I arrive, I see that the boys have finally shown up and Ethan is kneeling next to Pan.

As I approach, Ethan looks up and asks, "Have you figured it out?"

"Yes," I reply, "but you're not going to like it."

He stiffens as I say that and questions, "What do you have to do?"

"I think you already know the answer to that question," I reply and he sighs.

"Yeah," he says and then embraces me. "You know you don't have to do it if you don't want to. He'd understand," he whispers into my ear.

"It's my decision to make. Besides, it's his only chance," I reply.

"He wouldn't want you to die for him though," he says

"But I can't let him die. I wouldn't be able to live myself if he did, especially if I could have done something about it," I whisper through my tight throat and Ethan sighs heavily and then nods in understanding.

We pull apart and I say, "I'm ready. Can you help me carry him?"

"We can do it, Cat," Collin says from behind Ethan, and I nod.

I lead them to the area of the cave with the hourglass and all their jaws drop in awe.

"So I take it none of you have been here before?" I ask, trying to lighten the mood.

"No. Never. Pan forbids it," Davis says seriously and I swallow hard.

"Lay him down here," I order, gesturing to the wall closest to the hourglass. "And I suggest you all stand back. I'm not sure what is going to happen after..." I trail off and the boys look at me in understanding and sadness.

I kneel down next to the unconscious Peter and whisper so that only he could hear me if he was responsive, "Don't worry, love. I'll get you out of this."

I then softly kiss his cheek and rise to my feet. Ethan then embraces me again and whispers to me, "I love you, Catey."

"I love you too, Ethan," I reply. After we pull apart, I look to the other boys and see the fear and uncertainty in their eyes. "Take care of them for me, okay?" I ask Ethan and he nods.

I then stride confidently towards the little drawer that has remained open and I lower myself to the floor in front of it. Propping myself up on my knees, I look at the drawer and take a deep breath to calm my rapid heartbeat and slow down my breathing. I then squeeze my eyes shut as I plunge my hand into my chest. I nearly cry out at the pain it causes but I am able to keep it in for the boys' sake.

I delicately pull my heart from my chest and once it's removed the pain goes away and I feel nothing. Not pain, not happiness, not sorrow, not fear. Not anything. I just sit there and stare blankly at the heart in my hands.

I hear whispers behind me, but I really don't care what the heck they are talking about. One of the whispering people raises his voice and seems as if he is trying to get my attention. I don't really feel like turning around so I don't.

I then lift my heart up and place it gently within the drawer. The drawer then contracts and once its fully closed, a bright light erupts from the center of the hourglass and the Earth begins to shake.

I'm starting to have difficulty breathing and my vision is going blurry. Just as everything goes black, a familiar voice screams, "Catherine!"

I recognize the voice but can't seem to place it. Before I get a chance to find out who it is though, a strange yet comforting warmth wraps itself around me and the world goes dark and everything becomes still.