Chapter 18 (Peter)

She had only one other fit during the night, but I was successfully able to calm her down before anyone else woke up. It happened just before dawn, so I haven't even tried to go back to sleep.

I watch her silently as she restlessly sleeps and gives out the occasional whimper. I stroke her hair softly and plant a kiss on her forehead. She's curled into me with a slight look of pain on her face. Her breathing begins to speed up and I know that she's seeing it again.

Before she can get far enough in the dream to see whatever causes her to lose herself, I begin prodding her from sleep.

"Catherine," I whisper into her ear. "Catherine."

She gasps as her eyelids jerk open. She looks around wildly, a crazed look on her face. When her gaze finds mine, fear overtakes her, and like a cornered animal, she begins to lash out. She kicks scratches, and even throws a punch at me which successfully connects with my jaw. I try to pin her down, but it's no use. She keeps flailing around and when I'm finally able to get her under control, she starts screaming, "Please! Please! Please don't hurt me!"

"Shh. It's okay. No one can hurt you here. Everything is okay," I whisper and softly stroke the side of her face in an attempt to calm her down. She immediately begins to quiet and her eyes start to refocus.

Her reaction to being woken up worries me as I rub the pain from my jaw. I've never seen anything like this and it only seems to be getting worse. I look worriedly down at her as she continues to calm.

After a while, she finally whispers, "I'm sorry."

"No, love. There's no reason you should be sorry," I assure her.

"But your lip, it's split," she says quietly.

I bring my hand to my mouth and feel something warm and sticky. "So it is," I say, wincing, but immediately try and cover it up by continuing, "It's just a little scratch, though." I then quickly use my magic to heal the wound.

I look back at her and smile. "See? No harm done."

But she doesn't return my smile. Instead, she turns away from me with tears in her eyes. "I never should have stayed," I hear her mumble.

"Don't say that," I say and tug her to me.

"And why not? Ever since I've returned, I've kept everyone up at all hours of the night, scared everybody nearly to death, hurt you-"

"And have made me feel whole again," I cut her off.

She looks at me surprised. "What was that?"

"I said, you have made me feel whole again," I repeat, and new tears flood her eyes. I can tell, however, that these tears are not of sorrow, but of joy. I return her smile as she wraps her arms around my neck. She then kisses me soundly on the mouth and I chuckle softly.

When she finally pulls back far enough that I can speak, I confess, "I love you, Catherine."

She kisses me again and replies shyly, "I love you, too, Peter."

Her statement causes my heart to soar, and I pull her in for another kiss. She sighs contently. After a while, she pulls back with a huge smile on her face and lays her head in the crook of my arm.

We just lie like that for a few minutes in silence, until eventually she says to me, "I bet you're wondering what has caused me to have these 'episodes' as you and Ethan call them."

I clear my throat awkwardly before replying, "Yes, but I figured you'd tell me when you were ready so I didn't push."

"Thank you for that. I appreciate you keeping your promise," she says.

"Anything for you, love," I reply, grinning mischievously.

"I do believe that I'm ready to talk about it now, though," she says and I listen. "You remember where Ethan and I came from, correct?" she asks and I nod.

"The Land of Magic, Dreamland, Fantasy Island, the Enchanted Forest," I list off all the different names of her old home.

"Yeah," she chuckles. "And do you remember anything else about my past?" she questions.

"I remember that your dad was the king of Akriv and your mom was one of the most powerful sorceresses to have ever existed," I recall. "Her name was Morgana, right?"

"Yes," she grimaces and looks away.

"I remember you telling me last night that it wasn't a dream. If it's not that, then what is it?" I ask and she sighs.

"It's a memory," she states.

She then goes on to explain in detail how in the memory, her mother proceeds to sic her shadow slave, Pitch, on Catherine. Just before the demon completely engulfs her, however, she manages to wake up from her dream state, but she remembers the rest just as if it had happened yesterday.

"There was darkness all around me and I was screaming for anyone to please help me. Just as the shadow demon was about to devour me, a large bright light pulsed throughout the entire room and Pitch fled, leaving me alone and able to escape out the tower window. I don't know who created that light or why. All I know is that they did," she finishes.

"I'm sorry," I apologize after a long silence when I can't think of anything else to say.

"Why? It's not like it was your fault. Heck, there's not even really anything to apologize for. It's my history. It's what has helped shape me into who I today," she says simply.

I then see just how brave she really is. Not many people would see an experience like that that way, but she does. Where most people would try to block it out, she accepts as a part of herself and a new form of respect for her grows in me.

"Do you have any idea why these memories are returning as often as they do?" I ask.

"Absolutely none. I doubt anyone from that time is even still alive accept for Ethan and me."

We sit there in silence, pondering everything she just said, when suddenly, we hear screaming coming from outside the tent.

I leap from the bed and grab my dagger from my chart table. I nearly run into Curly on my way out the door.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"It's Hook. He's found us. And, umm..." he trails off.

"And what?" I urge.

"He has a new friend," he whispers, shooting a pointed look at Catherine.

She looks at us confused, then her face pales when a voice outside calls out, "Where is she?"

"Stay here with her," I instruct Curly quietly, and dash from the tent.

I see all the boys being restrained by Hook's men, everyone bloodied and bruised, and scowling maliciously. The fire and loyalty I see in my men's eyes makes me proud and my resolve strengthens.

"What's this about, Hook? I thought that we'd agreed that you'd stay off the island if we stayed off your ship?" I ask enraged, and very wary as to why he's here.

"Well you did break that rule yourself just a few days ago when you got back your little pet, so I believe we are at least somewhat even," he replies icily. "Besides, I've finally made up me mind about your pet's offer. I'm now willing to help her off the island."

"Why would you be telling me this? Besides, don't you think it's a little late in the game for that?" I ask coldly.

"Not necessarily. You see Pan, I have a certain friend who has been dying to see her," he says, a malicious grin spreading across his face.

"And who, pray tell, is this new friend of yours?"

"Why don't you ask her yourself?" he asks chuckling.

Just as I'm about to reply, a strange fog drifts into camp. We hear rustling in the trees and I scan the tree line for signs of movement. A slim figure then materializes in the mist, and I squint to try and make out her identity. The woman in question then steps forward into the clearing, and I realize who Hook's new friend is.

It's Morgana.