Chapter 17 (Catherine)

I can feel myself gradually coming out of unconscious, and I moan softly. I haven't opened my eyes, but already know that I'm not in the forest. It's too quiet and I can't feel the ever present breeze that normally whispers through all the trees. Also, whatever it is I'm lying on is much more comfortable than the forest floor.

I slowly open my eyes and take in my surroundings. I'm in a small tent with bare walls and a bow and a quiver with arrows is propped up in the far corner. I try to sit up, but the effort only serves to make me dizzy so I sink back down onto the pillows with a grunt.

I sigh. I wonder how long I've been here. I know where I am because it's where I used to live with Ethan, and I am somewhat relieved that I'm here instead of ... somewhere else.

I stare at the ceiling for a while, and just before I'm about to try getting out of bed again, the tent flap opens.

"Well, good morning, sunshine," Ethan says hurrying over to my side. "Decided to join the living have you?"

I roll my eyes. "Yeah. Guess so," I reply smirking.

"Hold on just one sec. Where the heck is Collin?" he asks looking around.

"Collin?"

"Yeah. The new kid. Arrived just a few days after you left. He's about yay high with loads of freckles and the reddest hair you'll ever come across. You see, we've been watching over you in shifts to make sure your fever didn't come back. It's supposed to be his shift. Where the heck is he?" he explains. "Collin!" he yells.

"Ow!" we hear a yelp from under the bed after it vibrates a bit. We look over the right side to see a small boy attempting to wriggle out from underneath the frame. He is rubbing the top of his head as he curses and glares up at Ethan.

"Don' ya know its bad luck to wake a man when 'e's sleepin'?" he grunts and I can't help but laugh.

"Wha's so funny, lass?" he snaps.

"Nothin' laddy," I answer, failing to suppress another giggle. The truth is, the fact that he calls himself a man when he's only at most four and a half feet tall actually serves to be quite comical.

His scowl deepens as he gets up off the floor. He's very short with bright red curls and loads of freckles, and the way he crosses his arms over his chest does nothing to help him look intimidating. In fact, it only serves to make him look like an angry leprechaun. The thought makes me chuckle quietly as I turn my attention back to my brother.

"I don't care if you were sleeping, Collin. It's your shift which means you're supposed to stay awake to watch her," Ethan says with a menacing glare on his face.

I muster up my best accent and say, "Oh come off it, Ethan. I'm fine 'n I'm sure it gets rather boring jus' watchin' a lass sleep. Does it really matter now that I'm awake?"

Collin grins softly from where he stands beside the bed and Ethan looks down defeated. "Alright, I can't win with you, Catey," he grins and softly kisses my cheek.

"Now go and let Pan know she's awake," Ethan orders.

"Yes, sir," Collin says and hurries off.

"Does he have to know?" I whisper.

"Well, he hardly left your bedside since you got here and when your fever showed up he wouldn't leave unless he was forced, so I believe he has the right to know you're awake."

I'm shocked at his words. "You're joking, right?" I ask.

He only shakes his head and I turn to look in the other direction. "What happened? After I lost consciousness," I ask.