Chapter 21 (Cahterine)

Picture of John and Michael attached!

I wake up the next morning, yawn, and stretch. I open my eyes expecting to see Peter's peering into mine like usual, but he is nowhere to be seen. I find his absence odd, but just assume that he decided to go ahead and get up without me.

I get out of bed and, after grabbing my dagger, start to head outside. Just as I make it to the tent opening, I am nearly plowed over by an extremely panicked Michael.

"Whoa there, kid. What's up?" I ask him, grabbing his shoulders to steady him.

"It's...it's...oh, you just have ta come out and see for yourself!" he exclaims exasperatedly, and I can't help but worry.

He then grabs my hand and pulls me outside, where we find the rest of the Lost Boys huddled around a tree at the edge of the campsite. We make our way through the crowd of boys, and when I reach the front, I find myself standing next to Ethan. He is holding a piece of paper in his hand, a perplexed look on his face.

"What is it?" I ask him and he hands the note to me.

I take it and read. I have a hard time believing the words on the page, so I read it twice.

He shall forever belong to me, lest you reach him by time of three.
Love, Mother

Even though the rhyme was very corny, I feel fear begin to pool in the pit of my stomach. This feeling only grows when Ethan hands me a dagger that I'm more than familiar with.

"This was with it," he whispered so only I can hear him, and my suspicions are confirmed.

She has Peter.

-----------

Peter's POV

I wake up to find myself surrounded by darkness. It only takes a moment for my eyes to adjust, and when they do I see that I have been locked in a dark, dingy little room without any windows and only one door to the outside. The cracks surrounding the door are the only sources of light and this strangely gives me comfort because at least I know that there is still a chance I will be able to escape.

I get up and try to walk over to the door, but just as I reach out to grasp the handle, I am stopped by a set of chains around my wrists.

I sigh. They really thought that these could hold me?

I easily break free from the chains and absentmindedly rub my wrists. I reach for the door's handle again, but before I get close enough to touch it, it is violently swung open.

The sudden entrance of light causes me to go blind for a moment, but my eyes are quickly able to adjust again, and I find myself looking at Morgana.

"Finally awake I see," she comments as she enters the little room, lantern in hand.

No one follows her inside, so I assume that she is alone. She then closes the door softly behind her and turns to look at me.

She frowns and then tsks. "Oh dear. You've already managed to escape your chains. We'll just have to fix that, won't we?" she asks with a malicious grin.

Right when she finishes saying this, two huge pulses of brilliant blue light jet out from the floor and snake their ways up both of my arms, yanking me to my knees. Morgana chuckles from where she now stands looming over me.

"Oh you have no idea how wonderful it makes me feel to see you like this, Peter. Vulnerable. Weak. And kneeling before me," she explains.

I glare up at her, and she returns the gesture with a smile of satisfaction. I attempt to free myself of my new bonds, but am stopped by a surge of electricity that pulses throughout my entire body.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you. You see, those bonds are actually made of large volts of electricity, and if you try to escape, it will only serve to deliver you an electric shock."

"Why all the precautions, Morgana? Why do you need me so badly? I thought you came here for something else, not me," I ask.

She summons the chair that just happened to be sitting in the corner of the room and delicately lowers herself into it. "Not something, dear boy, but someone," she begins after she finishes getting comfortable. "I am here for Cathy. In fact, she was the one I was trying to draw out of camp. But when I saw that it was you I had been able to coax out into the open, I just couldn't help myself."

I look at her with raised eyebrows and she continues. "You see, Pan, you and Cathy are bound by a power greater than any other, and I knew that if I went ahead and took you, it would only be a matter of time before she'd follow and try to save you. And I was right. She's on her way here right now."

I glare at her, all the while both wishing that Catherine hadn't fallen for her mother's obvious trap and that I hadn't been so stupid to go after Morgana by myself in the first place.

"What do you want with her? Whatever it is I will do it instead, just please don't hurt her," I plead rather pathetically and she laughs.

"Oh Peter, I do love seeing you beg. It's quite funny actually to see one of the supposedly most powerful beings in all the realms stoop so low. But I'm afraid that you can't take her place because I require her heart to save myself, which somewhat ironically is what you brought her back for in the first place, am I correct?"

"I freed her from that burden. It is now mine and mine alone to bear," I counter coldly.

"How sweet. Love really does make us do crazy things, wouldn't you agree? Things like giving up our homes and our lives to keep the ones we love from harm," she says.

"Well that philosophy doesn't seem to apply to you, does it? You go around hurting the people you claim to love all the time for your own personal gain. And what's worse is the fact that you feel no guilt about doing it. In fact, you find it pleasurable to see those around you suffer," I finish just as a huge pulse of electricity courses through me. I grit my teeth to keep from crying out and I can see that I reached my goal in irritating her.

"You really should learn that words are the best way to get yourself killed, Pan," she threatens darkly.

"But the thing is, you won't kill me because you need me alive to offer me up to her as bait when she gets here, and you can't really do that successfully if I'm dead," I taunt and another electric shock goes through me.

"We'll just have to see, won't we?" she says, flashing me an unforgiving smile.

It's then that I hear the sounds of battle commence somewhere above us and I know that Catherine is up there fighting in her attempt to rescue me.

"Now I must go confront my daughter to discuss the terms of your release," Morgana says and rises from her seat. "See you in a little while, Pan."

She throws me one last sugar-coated smile and exits my cell, slamming the door in her wake.