Chapter 16 (Peter)

• Dedicated to Sara K

"No."

It's amazing how much impact one word can have on a person.

"No."

Just one little word.

"No."

And my entire world fell apart.

-----------

I lie there on my bed, just staring at the ceiling, contemplating everything that had occurred that afternoon.  I feel a kind of emptiness when I remember the look of pain in Cat's eyes just before she turned her back on me and disappeared.

I shut my eyes tight and attempt to push down both the anger and hurt I feel.  I miss her.  I miss her so much.  I have regretted sending her away from the very moment she exited my tent.  I had been trying to find her for days, but was unsuccessful.  That is until today.  I had felt so relieved when I was finally able to feel her aura again; I transported myself to her immediately.  I wanted to touch her, hold her, kiss her, see her again.

When I arrived at her location, however, I saw a sight I thought I'd never see: Catherine with Lance's arms wrapped tightly around her, their lips touching.  And the worst part was that she looked as if she wanted him just as much as he wanted her.

It was just too much to bear, seeing her enjoying someone else's attention especially his attention.  So I lashed out and ripped Lance from her grasp with every intention of draining his black heart.  When she had stopped me, I was extremely irate and only partially grateful to her for interference.

I then attempted to reign in my emotions, and once that was accomplished I admitted to her how I truly felt.

I wince at the pain in my chest as I remember the tightness her voice had held as she then went on to lecture me about my hypocrisy.  Before I could get another word out, she had stiffly turned her back on me, and disappeared to wherever it is on the island she has decided to live despite my last-ditch effort at seduction.

I tried desperately once again to find her, but to no avail.  She must have placed another Concealment Charm upon herself, and after a while, I gave up my search and returned to camp in defeat.

Now I find myself staring at the ceiling, rightfully blaming myself for all the pain I've put both myself and Catherine through.

"I was a fool to think that you'd ever change. You're a heartless monster and I'm glad to be rid of you," she had said.

"I know.  I was wrong, and I'm sorry," I whisper to no one.

Then suddenly, without warning, a huge blast of magic overtakes me.  The power of the blast knocks me off of my bed and the room begins to swim before my eyes.  I moan, holding my head and squeezing my eyes shut in an attempt to stop the spinning.

Since I'm the technical ruler of the island, whenever any kind of magic is used, I'm able to feel how powerful it is and where it's coming from.  This particular blast seems to have originated from Blind Man's Bluff and whoever is responsible for it is in apparent emotional pain.

But this magic is different.  Normally, even if large acts of magic are performed on the island, I can feel it, but it has never nearly knocked me out before.

I take a deep breath and slowly try to stand up.  I grip my bed frame for support and try to lock onto the source of the magic.  The effort only serves to make me dizzier so I stop.  But one thing is for certain.  She is the one who is causing this power surge.

I dash from my tent and take off into the forest.  I have to get to her.  She's in trouble and whether she wants to admit it or not, she needs me.