thirteen🥀

jaehyeong was discharged out of the hospital by his dad.

the second they arrived at the house, his dad immediately started yelling at him again.

"you could have injured your sister if she was with you on the streets!"

"i'm sorry? is it my fault that the driver couldn't control their car?" jaehyeong defended himself.

hanjae woke up from all the yelling. she was watching from the staircase to listen to their conversation.

"you're the one who went to the mall without my permission! do you know how much trouble you cause?" the dad yelled back.

"do you know how much i wanted to live with mom instead of you?"

his dad immediately striked jaehyeong across the face. jaehyeong fell to the floor, rubbing the side of his face.

"STOP, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO JAEHYEONG?" hanjae ran over to jaehyeong to see if he was okay.

"and who told you that you could come down here to eves drop?!" their dad continued to scold them.

"i really don't understand... why you hurt our family." hanjae started to tear up.

"our family? are you still dumbfounded?" their dad scoffed, "hanjae. it's better to tell you now than for you to still be a dumb bitch."

hanjae was confused, "what.. are you talking about?"

"dad.. you can't tell her!" jaehyeong yelled.

"you dare talk back? well, now i'll really tell her. lee hanjae! or should i say kwon hanjae! your REAL parents died when you were young! shouldn't you be grateful that you still have me as your father now?" the dad speaks.

"DAD!" jaehyeong scolds at him.

hanjae got up from the floor, "..and you have no shame telling me this? and you knew about everything, jaehyeong?" she started crying.

"hanjae, we can explain!"

hanjae runs out the door, running away from her own house. she runs as fast as she could, miles and miles away from her home.

~

call from jaehyeong
{accept | decline}

sammy; jae? what's up

jaehyeong; sammy... hanjae ran away from home. please, if you can find her anywhere, please convince her to come back.

sammy; she RAN away? why?

jaehyeong; i really don't have time to explain... please, help me find her!

sammy; okay, okay. i'll try find her bud. everything will be okay.

jaehyeong; thank you... call me when you find her.

sammy; got it.

call ended

sammy felt worried and anxious just as much as jaehyeong did.

he jumped in his car, hoping to find her soon.

~

he drove everywhere. the mall, cafe, and the city. hanjae is nowhere to be found.

it was midnight. she's still out there... i can't leave her out there alone. sammy decided to drive to the beach for some air. this isn't like hanjae... she deserves so much...

as he looked up at the stars, sitting on the beach sand, he looked to the side of him. far in the distance, there was a girl laying down on the beach sand.

h-hanjae?

sammy got up, ran to the girl laying on the sand. "hanjae!" he relieved. but her eyes were closed. she was soaked in the salty sea water. "h-hanjae?" he said again.

hanjae opened her eyes and saw sammy. she sat up, almost as if she was about to run away again.

"hanjae, don't!" sammy stopped her. "please... don't hate me for this."

immediately, he pulled her into a hug, making sure she wouldn't run away again.

hanjae didn't fight her way out of the hug. she began to cry, and wrapped her arms around sammy while crying on his chest.

~

they sat on the beach sand together, while enjoying a comfortable moment of silence.

"should i.. tell jaehyeong that you're okay?" sammy asks.

"i don't know..." she responds.

sammy walked to his car to get a towel out for hanjae. he wraps it around her so she doesn't get sick.

"do you... want to stay at my house for the night?" sammy asks. hanjae hesitates, but nods. she can't bare to face her dad at the moment.

as they arrive at his house, sammy grabs some water for hanjae.

"i'll let you borrow some of my clothes for tonight after you shower."

hanjae nods.

~

after hanjae was done showering, she changed into sammy's sweatshirt and sweatpants. they were comfortable and had a good scent.

"lookin' real cute there." sammy said while walking through the bathroom door.

hanjae slightly smiled. "sammy... thank you... for earlier." she said, "i really don't know what i would've done if you never found me."

"your brother is the one who was more worried about you. he called me to find you." sammy explained.

hanjae nods and walks past sammy to go inside the guest room. she sat on the bed, feeling stressed. "may i ask why you ran away?" sammy walked through the room again.

she sighs, "they kept a secret from me all my life... it wasn't until a few hours ago to figure out that i'm not related to jaehyeong, or my dad, or my mom. my dad straight up said that my parents passed away when i was young... without any shame! and jaehyeong knew.. he knew all along and didn't care to tell me. i feel... like i can't even trust anyone anymore."

she looks down at her hands and feeling nothing but embarrassment.

"have you ever thought about how much jaehyeong really cares about you?" sammy speaks up.

hanjae's head lifts up, nodding her head 'no'.

"he texts me everyday to check up on you at school. he makes sure that you're having the freedom that you deserve. he wants you to be a happy individual. he may not be related to you by blood, but your his little sister who he cares for more than anyone." sammy explains.

hanjae looks down at her hands again, and smiles just a bit. sammy lifts her chin up, making sure she's okay.

"i'm sorry for hugging you earlier." sammy changes the subject.

"it's okay... i actually don't mind anymore..." hanjae said.

"rest up hanjae. tomorrow will be a better day, okay?" sammy got up to turn off the lights, then closes the door.

~🥀