T H R E E

{edited}

Chapter 3
Alison

•••
°
"Hey, hey, wake up." someone pokes me awakening me from my slumber.

I groan and rub my eyes before my vision becomes clear. Standing in front of me, too close if you ask me, with two brown paper bags, is Penny.

As if reading my thoughts, she backs away a little and sends me a small smile.

"Mary called and told me what happened. I'm sorry babe." She says with glistening eyes.

I frown confused at what she is talking about but then last night's events come rushing in my mind. My heart clenches at the thought.

I might be seen as a tad dramatic but I can't help but think who exactly am I getting 'married' to. What if it's an abuser? Or even a rapist? Is this really how my life is going to be like? Being dictated by a man and my own parents?

Just like that, I am engulfed into a tight hug. "Oh baby, let it out. Let it all out."

The two of us continue sobbing on each other's shoulders. This is why I love this girl. She's my best friend and knows exactly when I need her.

After what seemed like hours but was actually mete minutes of crying, we break apart. Both our eyes are puffy and red as well as our noses.

Penny sniffs a bit and smiles. "How about we stop crying and munch on these bad boys?" She raises the two bags which I now know that it's filled goodies.

My depressed state changes into a happy one at the sight. What can I say, the girl loves food.

••••

It's been days since Penny visited me, and apparently she also brought her suitcases as well on that day. So she stayed with me for those past days and I have to admit, she managed to make me forget about the deal.

But good things always come to an end as today is the day my 'husband' will be taking me to New York. My new 'home'

Yeah, there's a lot of air quotes.

The only good thing about this is that at least I won't be going through the struggles of finding accommodation, right? Yeah no, there is nothing good about this.

"Are you ready?" Mary asks me as she closes my suitcase.

I look around my room and already know that I am going to miss this room. Only the room and Mary. My parents, not so much. Penny will be attending NYU as well so I guess I'll see her before schools open.

"I think I am." I say.

"Are you sure you want to leave your furniture and everything else in here?" Penny asks, touching the mirror.

I shrug. "The things I've left in here are the things my parents bought for me and I want nothing that would remind me of them."

Penny and Mary share a look before looking back at me.

"Hmm, okay. I think we better get going. The driver arrived an hour ago." Mary exclaims.

I frown. "He has been waiting for an hour?"

Mary sends me an innocent look even though she is far from that. "I'm sure he doesn't mind."

Penny and I laugh at her. Penny throws her arm over my shoulder. "Let's get this show started." She says.

I roll my eyes at her tone. For the past days, Penny has been putting this crazy thoughts inside of my mind that my 'husband' might be a hot young man. Of course I had to object telling her that I'm not that lucky. Which leads us to how we bet on it. The winner chooses what to do.

We had to make my sad life story a little fun, right?

When we get downstairs, we hear chatter. My mother's voice and an unfamiliar voice. I don't get the chance to actually hear what they are talking about as my mother notices me first.

"Oh my goodness, Alison!" She screeches. "You're going to meet your man dressed like that? Don't even get me started on your hair. You don't-" Penny cuts off her ramble.

"Why don't you just shut up before I introduce your face with my fist." She sends her a sarcastic, yet creepy, smile which causes mother to avert her attention elsewhere. Yeah, Penny is scary like that

As for mother, I don't know what her problem is. I'll wear what I want whenever I want to. I don't even think what I'm wearing is bad, just too comfortable. I'm wearing dark blue jean short since it's way too hot now and I ain't go suffer through that heat all the way to New York. I'm also wearing a simple white tee with the words 'Not enough internet time'. I like how I'm dressed.

"I'm sorry miss but we have to get going." The man, who I'm now noticing, says. He is dressed in a black suit and is probably in his mid twenties. He looks like he just stepped out of Man in Black.

He started to take my bags, with my permission of course. I turn to Penny and Mary with a tight small smile. I refuse to cry, I've done that countless times this past days.

A tear drop rolls down Penny's cheek but she catches it quickly. "I'm not crying, my eye is just sweating. Stupid eye." She mumbles causing me to chuckle.

Trust Penny to break the ice.

I see the man in black taking two of my last bags and I'm guessing it's time to leave.

"I'm going to miss you guys so much." I choke on my words at the end. The day I've been dreading is finally here.

"Bitch please, I'll be there in a few. Trust me." Penny flips her long blonde hair. Mary rolls her eyes and smacks her on her head. "Ouch." Penny mumbles but we ignore her.

Mary closes the space between us and hugs me. "I promise, I'll come visit you Babushka."

I nod and tighten my grip on her. "Please do."

We break apart and smile at each other. It's okay, this isn't the end.

"Okay, I'll also give you a hug." Penny says and hugs the two of us. This is now a group hug. We break apart when a cough is heard. We all turn to the person. Mother.

She is standing there with a stupid smile on her face, so large that I swear her fake lips will pop. I'm sorry but I can't stand her, not this soon at least.

"I'm going to miss you baby." Mother says.

I roll my eyes and step closet to her. "You know mother dearest, I hope you someday understand that your own blood is much more important than money." With that I brush past her and exit the house with Mary and Penny following behind.

A black car is parked just outside and by the man right beside it, I'd say that's the car taking me to the airport.

Once again, I turn to my two favourite people and squeeze them one last time before heading to the car.

The man opens the back door for me which I enter in and sit down. The door close as the man goes to the driver sit.

I look outside the window and wave at them. They wave back and send kisses my way.

I am going to miss them.

The car starts driving away from the house. I watch as their figures grows slower and slower.

The heavy feeling in my heart starts to become annoying so I do the one thing that comes to my mind. I tap the driver's shoulder and say,

"Can you please switch on the radio?"