five

𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐈𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐑𝐄𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐃𝐒

─────

The base wasn't exactly state of the art.

The glass windows are so dusty that they hardly let in any light - it's not a surprise that most of the soldiers are so pale. Puddles of melted ice dot the concrete floor, having leaked in from the roofs with the tiny holes and the building echoes eerily when a pair of men's Louboutin's click clack against the concrete floor.

'How is she doing?'

'Good.'

Both men turn to look at the small girl.

Her small frame has gotten considerably more muscular during her short time with them, but Pierce supposes that it may have to do with the serum.

'She is an excellent shot with a rifle and decent with an automatic. A quick learner with more hands on activities but shitty with her languages as I've heard. You made the right choice in selecting her.'

'I'm pleased to know that our resources have not been wasted. I want her on a mission now with the Soldier - call it a trial but soon, we will begin testing her new powers.'

The Louboutins and it's owner click clacks away again and Evgenia dares to spare a glance towards the parting man.

'What are you looking around for?' Her instructor catches her glancing away from her task. 'You heard the man, get up Veselkina, you have a mission.'

The task was simple, she and the Asset would be sent to Kazan where a small family of three lived. Yuri Petrovich Zagitov. Yulia Alexandrovna Radionova. Sasha Yurovich Zagitov. In less than a day they would be no more than memories.

Evgenia entered the side entrance of the apartment building, the Soldier following close behind. Their booted feet made little noise as they marched up the stairs to the landing that the Zagitov family lived on. 

The child edged forward first, her ears pressed against the red painted door. She nodded at the Asset.

All clear.

She stepped aside as the man kicked the door down with a deafening bright blue crash. They moved quickly throughout the apartment, scoping out the bedrooms and kitchen. He was the first to find them. He held up a finger as she crept forward to join him behind a glass cabinet. 

There the little family sat on the floor. The father was reading a book to the boy while the mother sat at the piano.

They looked happy, she thought. Was I ever that happy with my mama and papa? Did I even have a mama and -

She didn't get to finish her thought. The Soldier had already moved into the living room and the family had already noticed him. As he wrapped his robotic arm around the man, she dashed forward and hauled the woman off the Soldier who was crying hysterically for her husband. She closed her eyes when she felt the familiar tug in her stomach as she grappled for some of the Asset's strength.

Compliance will be rewarded.

The blue eyes opened. The woman was flung across the room, the glass cabinet shattered and pierced her body as the body fell limp. The red of the blood danced across her white shirt. Evgenia found it mesmerising.