six

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐒𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐔𝐒

─────

Seryy arrived at the base a week after Evgenia's success at the academy. His metal arm had been shot to bits by the defensive mark and the minute he had entered the base, Caron had been all over him, examining his arm with hmms and huhs. They didn't take her into lab with them like they sometimes would when Seryy was unstable and in dire need of some form of support, and she didn't dare ask the Pierce for fear that she would be punished.

So she sat on the moth bitten cot in their shared cell, picking at an old scar caused by a bullet on a mission. In the corner of the room stood a pathetic little bucket. It served as the shower for her. If pouring a ice cold bucket of water over oneself counted as a shower. Words decorated the walls, mostly words in Hindi that Seryy had carved in with his metal arm. He had been trying to teach her the language, but then they were both put into cryo and that had put a halt in their plans.

There was a sharp gunmetal shake of the bars. Evgenia looked up from the scar on her arm.

The man standing outside the cell was Vasily Karpov. He was to be the new superior while Pierce was away. He had a cruel face with a permanently downturned mouth and small eyes paired with a croaky camouflage green voice. 

'Get up, there is a new mission,' he shouted at her.

She stood up and locked eye with the man, 'Da, ser.'

'You will accompany the Soldat to exterminate Howard and Maria Stark,' he unlocked the metal bars with a key and dropped her uniform and a sniper's rifle that was half her height onto the dirty concrete floor. 

She stripped from her shirt and pants and pulled on the suit and boots. Karpov was staring at her while she was getting changed but she was accustomed to this. There was no personal space in a HYDRA base. The mere thought of it was laughable. 

She double checked that there was enough ammunition in her backup gun and clipped it into her belt properly before slotting her knives into the pockets on her legs. She reached for the muzzle and was just finishing attaching it to the collar when Karpov growled at her, 'I do not have all the time in the world Veselkina.'

Her hands flew away from the collar and she turned her eyes down.

'Izvinyayus ser,' she said marching towards the exit as quickly as her legs would allow her. 

Standing by the door was Seryy, his arm had been replaced. Evgenia could tell by the shininess of the metal. He too was carrying a sniper's rifle althought it was considerably larger than hers. Rumlow stood behind him, as if watching his every moment.

When she neared him, he did not give any sign of recognition instead choosing to stiffly walk towards a small plane parked on the gravel road. 

Did they wipe him again?

The thought alone made her panic but she kept it inside. 

Had he forgotten who she was?

They climbed into the plane and sat on the uncomfortably padded seats. Evgenia had no clue how long they would travel for. The longer flights drove her mad. The silence was always tense and the agents scared the little girl a bit, with their unbreakable stares and looming height. And they never told her the location of her missions unless they required undercover work. It was too much of a risk. Her mind would always wander and she often ended up thinking about her days in the Red Room.

Where was Tatiana now? Was she still alive? What about the other girls who were still alive? Anastasia? Mariya? Samara? Had they survived?

She remembered the time that Madame B had broken her arm in three different areas because she had hesitated in a fight. She recalled the bone chilling screams of the older girls as Ivan Petrovich had raped them as part of their lesson on seduction.