bonus chapter

𝐎𝐇 𝐃𝐄𝐄𝐑

𝟮𝟬𝟬𝟳

─────

A fluffy blanket of snow covers the cobbled ground. Around them, the happy blue laughter and chatter of strangers fill the air as families dash from shop to shop, eager to complete their last minute shopping. Bells and colourfully decorated trees line the streets.

It's Christmas Eve.

The Soldat and his daughter lie on their stomachs, side by side on a roof, observing the people below them. 

They were sent to New York City a day ago to exterminate a target by the name of Richard Montgomery, an American politician. As always, they had not been informed of the man's crimes.

The latest intel the assassins had received was that he would most likely be shopping in West Village, so early in the morning, the pair had departed from their safe house and set for the neighbourhood, carrying nothing but a small, portable rifle with them. They'd found a spot on one of the brownstone roofs and had been lying there for several hours, ocean blue eyes searching for the American.

Evgenia's stomach grumbled a dull chrome grey, penetrating the silence. Her father turned to look at her.

'Vy golodny?'  You hungry?

'Da, ochen.' She nods seriously, curls from her afro bouncing up and down.

'Davay.' He pushed himself off the concrete and beckoned with his bionic arm. 'We'll go find something to eat. Montgomery can't be dealt with later.'

They made their way down the stairwell and onto the streets, Zhenya kicking at patches of snow with her boots as they walk. 

'Do we have any money?' 

'Net.'

They would have to steal.

He had given her a basic rundown on pickpocketing but she was nowhere near as skilled as him, so while her papa picked out a victim, Evgenia keeps one hand gripped on his, scoping out the area in case all failed and they had to run.

They brush past a family of four, the Asset purposefully bumping into the wavy haired man.

'Sorry!' 

'No worries man!'

'Did you get it?' She raised onto her tiptoes and peered at his enclosed hand as soon as they passed.

'Da,' a gloved hand opened to show a stack of dollar bills and shiny coin resting on his palm. 'Which restaurant do you want to eat at?'

She smiled up at him toothily, 'I can pick? Can we go to...' Zhenya looked around, feeling a little overwhelmed and at awe of all the choices she had. 'That one?'

'Over there?' Papa followed her gaze to a small cafe.

They cross the street, him chiding her a little when she doesn't look to her left and right before stepping out. 

The pair are seated near the window, at the request of the Soldat, so they can keep an eye on the crowds while they eat. 

'Papa?' Evgenia asks, her chin covered in pizza crumbs. 'Is it a holiday today? Why are there so many shiny decorations and trees everywhere?'

He scrunches his face up a little at the question, the expression reminiscent to the one she makes when she's confused. 'It's Christmas I think. Or at least close to Christmas.'

 'What's that?'

'Umm...when people celebrate the birthday of Jesus. Children receive presents.' The answer comes out more like a question. Another thing that he can't remember.

'Is it celebrated in Russia?'

The Soldat raises his hand for a waiter. 

'Ya dumayu tak.' I think so.

They pay for the meal, the waitress complimenting Zhenya's hair, resulting in a shy smile from the child and a quiet thank you. 

'We should go back up to the roof,' she mentions when both of them stop to stare at a display window for far too long. 'See if we can find the target.'

She's right.

They've been distracted from the task. If Pierce ever found out about this, he would punish them.

So the father and daughter reluctantly let the temptation go and with that, their chances at a quick taste of civilian life.