fifteen

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐀 𝐑𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐍

─────

Two soldiers. A captain and a former pararescue stand in front of a gravestone in a cemetery. A third man joins them, stepping out from behind a tress with a black hood pulled over his head and a pair of sunglasses on his face.

'So, you've experienced this sort of thing before,' the latter notices.

'You get used to it,' Steve says with a sad smile on his face. It's a lie, they could never get used to it no matter how many times it happened. It never really got easier.

'We've been data mining HYDRA's files. Looks like lots of rats didn't go dwon with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight,' he says to the Captain. Fury knew the answer to the question but he pressed on anyway, 'Wanted to ask if you'd come.'

'There's something I gotta do first.'

'How about you Wilson?' The former director turns to the man standing closest to him. 'Could use someone with your abilities.'

'I'm more of a soldier than a spy,' he rejects.

'Alright then, anyone asks for me,' he nods at his gravestone, 'Tell them they can find me here.'

And with that the hooded man turns and melts back into the shadows.

'You should be honoured,' a feminine voice rings out, 'That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you.' 

The redhead walks towards them with a certain brunette hanging back just a few feet. The girl looks like a different person to the one he first met a week ago. Gone was the brainwashed killer and in her place was a child. Where her right leg once was, a metal prosthetic stood, reminiscent of the arm that her beloved Papochka had. In her arms, she clutched the doll that they had bought for her. Steve nods his head at Zhenya and she offers a smile back.

An exchange between friends. 

Friends. It's a new word for Evgenia. It's been a long time since she's had one.

'Not going with him.' It's more of a statement than a question.

'No.' Natasha's smile is still wide on her face and she turns around to look at Evgenia.

'Not staying here,' Steve concludes.

'Nah. I blew all my covers. I got to go find a new one. Besides, I thought it'd be nice for Zhenya to see more of the world outside missions. Call it a road trip.'

It's unspoken but they all know the true reason why Evgenia cannot stay. The child has to run again. Away from America, away from her crimes and back to the place it had all begun all those years ago. It was the only way she could figure out who she truly was and the only way to get away from them.

'That might take a while.'

'I'm counting on it.' And she is. Natasha is counting on it. 

'That thing you asked for,' the lighthearted nature of the conversation faded away as Natasha pulled a file from beneath her leather jacket. 'I called in a few favours from Kiev.'

Kiev. Yelena. It was another part of her old life that Natasha had missed. She wondered how the blonde was doing now. Still working for the Red Room? Or had she finally pursued her passion of ballet and was teaching the artform to pupils?

'You sure you don't want to play a part in this?'

'No.'

She had parted with James Barnes a long time ago. It was time to let this ghost go.

'Do me a favour will you? Call that nurse.' The playfulness is back.

'She's not a nurse,' says Steve with a smile etched on his face.

'And you're not a SHIELD agent.'

'What was her name again?' Steve's eyebrows are furrowed in mocking thoughtfulness.

'Sharon,' says Natasha softly, 'She's nice.'

'She seems more of your type than mine.'

Natasha shrugs, a regretful expression on her face, 'I'm not looking for that right now.'

Relationships never seemed to work out for the redhead. Alexei. Yelena. Madame B was right to some extent, love was for children.

 She reaches up and presses a kiss to Steve's cheek and then offers a nod towards Sam. From behind her, Evgenia gives a small wave to the soldiers.

'Take care of my papa when you find him,' it's a soft whisper but the words carry themselves through the trees and to Steve.

'Khorosho.'

And just like that the two are gone. Back into the world that knew too much about Natasha Romanoff and that possessed a terrifying thirst for Nemesis' justice. It's a sad reality but it's their reality and there isn't much they can do to change it then to slip back into the shadows. Back to their beginnings and the place they used to call home.

Mother Russia.

═══════════════════════

 i know this chapter is super short with only a little over 700 words but there wasn't much else to write and i felt that this was the best way to conclude. there will be a few bonus chapters and an excerpt from the sequel will be posted in the next chapter.

if you enjoyed this book, make sure to comment, vote and follow.