TWO || Tuna Sandwiches Are Awesome

By the time I get home, the sun is almost completely below the horizon. I bounce on the heels of my feet, kicking the door because my arms are full. A faint voice yells "coming!" and I wait, trying to sort my books out in my arms.

A moment later, the door opens just a crack, and my Aunt Xena's face peeks out. When she sees it's me, the door swings open and she ushers me in. Aunt Xena lives by herself in a lovely suite that was designated for three people. The walls are adorned with old paintings and there are vintage furniture decorating the room. When I suck in a deep breath, I catch the scent of cedarwood and vanilla, since she likes baking. I kind of love this place.

"Hey, Aunt Xena," I drop my books on the counter and sit down to eat. "How was work?" She works as a pharmacist and she loves it, helping people in need and meeting new people in general; she's quite the extrovert. Earns a lot of money, too, but she refuses to get a house. Good thing, too. We're both so attached to this place, I don't think I could bear to leave it.

So no, leaving this place would just be a bad idea.

"'Twas good." Aunt Xena ties up her hair, which is black like mine, but has grey streaks from age. Despite that, she still looks young. When I asked her, she just said 'moisturiser'. The wonders of lotion. I should really start moisturising or else I'll end up wrinkled and gross. "Betty came today, asked for ibuprofen for her high fever. She's always getting them this time of year. Also bought some Mykrox for her blood pressure. You know what she should do? Quit smoking. Or else she'll be dead by forty. What about you, kiddo? Good day at school?"

I shrug, remembering Maxine and the Jaxon video, the list of Studs and tutors that confirmed my fate. "It was alright. Some drama, but it turned out good." I've decided that having someone I'm lusting over as my Stud isn't going to be that bad. It'll just motivate me to impress her more and teach her as best as I can, therefore winning the competition.

Jaxon and his sharky stupid snobby face don't stand a chance - his Stud probably hates him already. I've got this thing in the bag. "You remember Jaxon? Well, he's back and he's more annoying than ever." I sigh and wave my fork with some pierced macaroni on it before shoving it into my mouth.

Aunt Xena senses that I don't feel like talking about it much and stays quiet. We eat the rest of our dinner in comfortable silence, the only noise that can be heard being the scrape of the chair as either of us stand up to get more apple juice. This is one of the best moments in my daily life. Having dinner with her. It's the little things that make everything so nice about this place.

Once the food is finished, I stand up and shake the books out of my bag. English homework, history homework. That'll be easy enough to finish. I tell Aunt Xena so, and she smiles as I walk back to my room.

It's the bigger room out of the two bedrooms; I told her it was okay if I had the smaller room, but she insisted, so here I am. There's a queen size bed with soft pastel yellow bedsheets and blankets, as well as two sunshine yellow pillows. There's an ashwood desk opposite the bed, with books piled up on it and a desk lamp. On the other side of the room, there's a clothes cabinet. Decorations sit atop of it, from flowers in a vase to a stuffed cow to a clay figurine I made of a shrine I saw in Kyoto.

I flop onto the bed, opening my English book and digging in my backpack for a pen. It's a pretty easy exercise on passive voice and active voice. I finish it in a quick five minutes and toss my history book on my desk, too lazy to do it now.

Instead I pull out my phone and check my texts. A few from Eden, none from Maxine sadly. The clock reads that it's already eight, not that Aunt Xena cares when I sleep. She's cool like that, so as a gift, I try to go to sleep at around ten or eleven to be a good kid. I read the texts from Eden.