SIX || Framed (In Two Different Ways)

"I feel bad," I admit, "I'm supposed to be taking you on dates too, aren't I?"

"Don't worry," Maxine replies, voice a bit muffled through my phone, "you make me happy just being with you." There's a pause, and I can hear her scoff. "Look, see, Gracelynn, you've made me go soft."

I swing my legs, molding the clay in my hands into a circle. She's on speaker, my phone lying next to me on the bed, while I try to replicate a cupcake in my hands, as a memory of Ellie and our first date.

"Aww. That's cute." The clay looks a bit squished, so I roll it a bit more. "Where are we going, anyway?" Maxine said she would be pick me up for a date at six. She neglected to mention where we were going.

"It's a surprise. You're so bad at this." She laughs, and it's kind of cynical and happy at the same time. "Really, have you noticed you're nosy as hell?"

Rolling my eyes, I place the clay ball in a hardened piece of teal-painted clay shaped like a cupcake liner, molding the shape so it fits perfectly, like a cupcake. "Yes, I have noticed, thank you very much. Thanks for rubbing it in."

A small voice inside me says Jaxon is nosy too, and it's true. Why'd he record me vomiting anyway?

Speak of the devil, an incoming call from Jaxon comes. I'd love to deny the call but I'm being blackmailed here, so I say my goodbye to Maxine and accept. There are a few beats of silence.

"Angel! Hi!" Jaxon says this with a tone that says this was a coincidence, that we just happened to meet at the mall. I grit my teeth. "How's your Stud going? Maxine Grifes, am I right?" He laughs, filled with evil mirth. "Anyway, I didn't just come to chat."

"Of course," I mumble.

"What was that?" He asks innocently. "Never mind, Angel! I'm tutoring my Stud soon, so this will be quick. Anyway, I kind of wanted to raise the stakes? I mean, we both seem to be doing well. Maybe this will help push both of us."

It takes a moment to process this. Raise the stakes? Is he crazy? These stakes are high enough already, especially for me. I wish I could reach through the screen and punch him.

"What stakes?"

I can practically hear his smile spreading across his face. "Why, Angel! So cooperative. Well, if you've heard... Alena Vasiliev. She broke her leg a week ago. Ring a bell?" Yeah, it does. I sent her flowers and chocolates and visited her at the hospital. She's a really nice girl, and also really smart; one of the other tutors.

"You were there. When she broke it during gym." Oh no. Oh, no no no no no. I can see where this is going. "How disastrous would it be if it got out that you - intentionally sabotaged her?"

"I wouldn't do that, Jaxon," I hiss, but my heart is sinking, "no one would believe it."

"Oh, but they would." He sounds absolutely sure of it. Which is his whole personality. Arrogant, evil snake. "Almost the same thing happened two years ago, Angel. And we'd know you'd go to any lengths to win this competition, yes?"

God, no. I'd never do that. I'm not Jaxon. But a lot of people know how competitive I am. And that I'm pretty dead set on winning this. They might believe it.

"Jaxon." I take a deep breath, trying to stop the tears pricking in my eyes. "Why are you even doing this? What are you getting from this? What, are you just being sadistic for fun? You're a - a -" I utter a few unkindly words at him.

When he finally responds, his voice is dark, no more amusement or horrible bubbliness. "You nearly ruined my life that day, Angel. It was a long time ago, but don't think I've forgotten it." His voice goes back to normal. "Good luck, Angel!" He laughs and hangs up.