FIVE || Movies Aren't Complete Without Popcorn

Tonight's the night.

Maxine texted me the details, and we're meeting at six. When I glance at the clock, it's a quarter to five. Good. I smooth down my hair, looking in the mirror. I'm wearing a white tennis skirt with pink lining, and a long-sleeved sweater crop-top, paired with matching white flats that have pink ribbons.

"Aww, sweetie!" Aunt Xena peeks in through the doorway, "you look great." I blush, still looking in the mirror, admiring the way my eyeliner makes my eyes look super green. "I'll give you a ride. Come on." I start to protest but she waves it away. "It's alright. I need to go to the pharmacy anyway."

We drive along the road, Aunt Xena drumming her fingers against the steering wheel as I hum a song from Avenue Q. "So, who's this girl, eh?" I choke on nothing and she laughs. "Awh, come on. I bet it's that girl you brought home the other day, right?"

After I'm done sputtering, I admit, "yeah. Maxine." My face is still red and I rub my skin to get it to cool down, except now it's getting even hotter.

Aunt Xena whistles. "Aww, my niece's first date." She reaches across and strangles me in a one-armed hug, my arms flailing around. "I'm so glad I'm here for this, sweetie. I'm so proud. You're really growing up, huh?"

"Enough with the water works, auntie." I really am grateful that she's here, though. And it does feel like I'm actually growing up. This is it. "I love you."

"Love you too, kiddo."

I walk into the theatre, looking around. Maxine's leaning against the wall, and she looks up and sees me. "Angie." She greets. "Wait, no. It doesn't fit you." She ruffles my hair, and I pout at her. "The quest for the perfect nickname continues!"

"You've been searching for a nickname for me?" That's sweet. I blush as she nods; the fact that Maxine thinks about me. It's nice.

"Yuh-huh. Angel is a mouthful. Too fancy. What does Eden call you?" She asks. And wow, she remembers Eden is my best friend. She keeps these facts in her mind, like she remembers me, thinks about me and bothers to care. I mean, I'm not totally deprived of that. Aunt Xena cares. Eden cares. But it's different with her, because Maxine always looks like she doesn't.

The corner of my mouth quirks up. "He calls me Angel. Sometimes Ange." Even Ange is a rare occurrence. He only ever calls me that when I'm angry, or he's angry. At one point it was also my spy name during that weird eighth grade spy phase, but that's over now.

Maxine ponders on this subject before shaking it away. She digs in her pocket and produces two small slips of yellow paper, with a big 2 on both of them, a smaller text saying: CAPTAIN MARVEL.

I haven't heard of that movie in months. How did she - "they still sell tickets for those?" I exhale and release a breath I didn't even realise I was holding. "O-M-G. Wow. I'll get to see Brie Larson's beautiful face again on big screen. How did you -?" My voice stops there.

"It's a popular movie, Ange." God. The way she says 'Ange'. Like it's two separate words. Ay-nj. "Nah, not Ange. We'd better keep searching. Anyway, yeah. It's popular. Blew up the box offices, didn't you know?" I nod. I do know. "You want popcorn? I wasn't sure if you wanted -"

"Of course I want popcorn!" People turn their heads to look at us, but can you blame me? How does this girl not know that popcorn is essential to the movie experience? "Popcorn is... wow. It's a part of the... the happening, Maxine! It brings the life to the adventure! How do you not know this?" She shrugs. "Wow. A shrug. You really aren't worth falling in love with."