FOUR || Fights, Feelings, And Other Frustrating Things

FOUR || Fights And Feelings And Other Frustrating Things

Eden pulls a pair of high top sneakers off the rack. "So, did you guys get spicy or what?"

I can't believe this boy is my best friend. But then again, he did buy me a pair of super-expensive Nike Airs, so I guess he's good for something. "Come on. You guys went back to your room and just - what? Talked? You're hiding something." He holds up a pair of blue Converse. "Do you think these would look nice?"

"Yeah. But try the floral ones first. That's more your style." I look down at my phone, at a text my eyes have been glued to for the last two minutes. A text from Maxine. Yo. Last night was cool. Wud love to hang out again, smth not about studying. I mean, if ur down. Gangster Genghis says hi, btw.

Oh, how I hate her and love her at the same time. Eden is lacing up the floral sneakers he's trying on, but he's looking at me, with a suspicious look. "How's Dalla?" I ask, quick before he can say anything. It's foolproof. Eden never passes up a chance to talk about his girlfriend.

He notices the obvious change in subject, but ignores it in favour of Dalla. Which is a pretty yeehaw name, if you ask me, but the girl's actually pretty nice. One of those artsy girls, you know, with brown curls and green eyes.

"Oh, she's wonderful," he sighs, and launches into a tirade on dresses and art and Victorian paintings, an interest no doubt ignited by Dalla's interest in them herself. It buys me time to text Maxine back.

Shut up. Genghis Khan's ghost is probably plotting to kill u rn.

I'd love to hang out again too.

I contemplate sending more, but I just stop there, since her reply comes back almost immediately, like she'd waited to launch it on me.

Y would Big G do that 2 me?

No wonder baby boomers don't understand our sense of humour. I don't understand it myself.

And it's surprising, too, because Maxine is funniner than she seems. It's horrible and amazing at the same time, because it makes me more infatuated with her. Damn it.

Speaking of damnation, Eden notices my grip loosening on my phone and plucks it out of my hand. "Thank you!" He chirps, and I call him a very undignified name. He can handle it.

"Last night?" He quotes, wiggling his eyebrows as a smile breaks out across his face. I snatch the phone back as a smile spreads across his face. He doesn't make any effort to keep it or grab it back, so I deduce that I truly am in trouble. Rolling my eyes, I stomp off to the corner of the Converse store.

"Go off, Eden."

↠↞

Mr. Greenston claps his hands as the bell rings, signifying the end of class. Amongst the sea of people, I grab Maxine's hand and fall into step with her. We walk out of class together.

"Maxine, can I ask you a question?"

It slips out of me, like I can't stop it. I'm nosy and invading, but at least I asked the can I ask you a question question first, to at least make it seem like I'm not that eager to barge into her private life. She shrugs. "Fine."

I sigh. "Those bruises on your knuckles." She blinks at me like an owl, looking unsure. "Um - I just - what are they from?" She opens her mouth, but I interrupt. "And don't try to tell me it's no big deal or brush it away. I really want to know and I will not settle for any vague shit."

Her tone is tinged with amusement. "You know me so well, Gracelynn." She pauses, but I don't speak, because I hate it when I'm trying to find words and feelings and someone interrupts me. Finally, she sighs and lifts her hands, clenching and unclenching them. "I got into a fight, alright?"