a dark and shiny place

a/n: the lengthy oneshot i promised :)))
p.s. y'all can listen to the song in the video link attached above ;)

. . . . .

carol remembers, as clear as crystal, how she met natasha.

or rather the exact feeling she had when she first met the love of her life.

well, initially, she hated her. her subtle snarkiness and how she can just talk over carol with such authority that our dear captain doesn't like.

when she learned that nick fury, her dearest friend, is one of the unfortunate ones who got dusted off by thanos' decimation, carol's blood boiled upon everything. and i mean, everything.

"didn't you all realize that you could have just focused on taking thanos' gauntlet off from his hand and then take him down?" carol stood proudly with her point as she's in a heated conversation with natasha romanoff, as what this blonde chick, also slowly getting into carol's nerves, introduced herself to her.

"miss danvers, didn't you also realize that upon taking the gauntlet off of thanos' hand we will be unsure in securing its safety while taking him down when we're in the same perimeters and escaping with the gauntlet would be a waste of time because it would be too late?" natasha raised her bleached eyebrow at carol.

carol on the other hand, couldn't comprise a single sentence, let alone a single word out of her mouth. this is what she hates, people outsmarting her, an ugly trait she accepts somehow.

she kind of has this motto in life, "when people question you, just say, 'i'm right'."

before carol could finally breathe a word out of her mouth, natasha spoke. "impulsive decisions mostly lead to unfortunate circumstances, carol. you need to learn the art of thinking over your decisions at least a hundred times in a short amount of time. don't let your emotions overcloud your judgement."

carol could not believe the words that came out from natasha's mouth, it was the exact words her ex-ally yon-rogg implanted on her, which obviously she didn't like. which, the more carol's blood heated upon this so-called greatest spy slash avenger in front of her.

everyone else in the room witnessed how she breathed heavily upon natasha's comment. thank god captain america got in the way of the heated conversation, knowing that these two powerful women in the room could be in a sparring session any minute now if he wouldn't say a word.

"hey everyone, let's focus instead okay? rocket's tracker still couldn't find stark and even thanos, and the numbers are still growing rapidly for the missing list. we have to compromise, make use of what and who we have now. can we do that?" steve somewhat eyed both carol and natasha.

yet bruce interrupted. "but cap even if we come up with something, we're short in hands. how are we supposed to know it's gonna end differently than it did before?"

"because before you didn't have me." captain marvel answered instead, proud and poised.

that tingled natasha's ear then she faced the captain she just met, crossing her arms around her chest. "hey carol, we're all about the superhero life here but please don't mind my asking, where the hell have you been all this time?" [a/n: i know this is rhodey's line but come on this is a carolnat fic hehe]