Chapter Eleven

Zayn’s POV

            A large lump formed in my throat as Grace handed me a white envelope. I looked at it and she just looked down and pinched her brow. I heard quiet sobs. I ran my left hand through my hair and clutched the envelope with my right. Part of me wanted to rip it open and see what was inside, but another part of me was hesitant. I found myself at a loss for words. Ever since Harry passed, I’ve felt hollow inside. Although I was sure that the other lads felt the same, I just felt so vulnerable. His death not only had an effect on Louis, Niall, Liam, Grace, and I, but it changed the world. I didn’t want to believe it. In fact, I didn’t believe it until I saw the funeral workers lower my best friend six feet under the ground.

Tears pricked at the ends of my eyes as I slowly opened the envelope. I stopped and held it to my chest. I closed my eyes and tilted my head upwards. Just before I began to pray, I felt someone squeeze my hand. I opened my eyes and saw Grace.

“Do you mind if I join you?” She asked.

“Not at all,” I said.

She smiled and we closed our eyes. I prayed silently and just asked for Harry to be at peace wherever he may be.

“I feel like this is where the saying ‘don’t rest in peace, surf in the sky’ should come in,” Grace said.

“You know, now that you mention it… Harry’s probably doing something crazy right now,” I told her.

“He’s probably annoying all of the dead people of the world,” Grace joked.

“Probably.” I chuckled.

“Are you gonna read what he left you?” She asked anxiously.

“Can I tell you a secret?” I asked.

“Of course.”

“I’m scared to read it,” I admitted.

“Why?” She asked.

At that moment, tears fell down my cheeks.

“I’m scared he’s just going to become a memory, Grace. It scares me so much. I want him here. I don’t want to just have a letter! I don’t want that to be the only thing I have left of him…” I whimpered.

Grace hugged me. I felt like that was the closest moment we ever shared. I’d really cherish it.

When she pulled away, she tapped on the envelope and motioned for me to open it. I took a deep breath and pulled out the letter…

“Dear Zayn,

            I know that if you’re reading this, I’m gone. I’m so sorry for leaving you. You’re one of my best mates and you always will be. Don’t be sad that I am gone. Cherish all of the moments that you did have with me. I know I cherished all of the moments I had with you and the boys. Don’t let my death keep you from accomplishing great things. I know how much you can achieve, Zayn. Don’t let me down.

            Make sure Grace is alright. I know I told all of the boys this, but please just do that for me. I love her and I know the lads do as well. Go to her for comfort or something. She’s a girl; she’s good at that mushy love stuff. Don’t let her go off on her own. Kidnap her or something if she tries to leave… I know you probably want to kill me for using humor in a death note, but hey, that’s just who I am.

            Zayn, you, the boys, and Grace knew more about me than anyone else in the world. I’m so glad that I had you five to rely on. Thank you all for showing me the best in life. I was truly privileged to meet someone as great as you. You were always such an amazing best friend and brother. Take care of yourself, Zayn. Don’t waste a single second of your time that you have left on Earth. I hope that you can learn to appreciate things even more now that I’m gone. Don’t feel sad. Don’t make yourself feel guilty.

            Above all, trust yourself. You’re intelligent. Make all of the right choices. I mean this as sincere as possible…

PS – Many people are waiting for you to quit smoking… Just a hint!

Love your best mate, Harry Styles”

After reading the most heartfelt thing ever addressed to me, I smiled. Even though I missed him every single second, I was truly thankful for the time I got to spend with Harry.

I turned to Grace and hugged her.

“Please don’t leave me and the boys,” I begged, “We need you…”

“I wouldn’t dream of it,” She whispered quietly.

‘Good,’ I thought, ‘you’re the only one who can keep the lads in line.’

It was true. Grace could keep us down to earth. That’s one of the many reasons Harry loved her. For that, the lads and I owed her everything.

------------------------------------------

So, here's Zayn's letter! I'm terribly sorry for the long wait... There will be more updates to come. :)

- RelentlessChaos <3