Chapter 9

(Time skip to during Winter Soldier)

I bought a place in DC. Small, but big enough in case I have guests. I make sure that I exercise everyday too. You know, gotta keep that waist and booty in shape. My hair has grown. It's long again an the blonde is at the end, kinda like an ombre thing. I go for a run everyday before I got to the Triskellion for work. Fury has me go there now, they give me some higher profile missions, and I go there when I'm not needed by the Avengers.

When I go into the Triskellion I meet this man named Alexander Peirce.  He gives me a weird vibe, but Fury says I can trust him so I do. Anyways, life since I joined the Avengers has been great. Steve is like my best friend, Tony, well he's Tony. Bruce is nice but is in the lab pretty much everyday. Thor is gone, I think he's back on Asgard or something. And I think Clint went back to his farm with his wife. But, only Natasha and I know about that.

Right now Steve and Natasha are on a mission. I, on the other hand am currently sitting at my desk in my office finishing paperwork from my last mission. That is the most boring part about being part of SHIELD. The paperwork. Luckily since it's just paperwork I don't have to be in my mission suit. So I'm wearing my regular clothes. Casual, well, for me at least.

I had just finished when I got word that Nat and Steve were back

I had just finished when I got word that Nat and Steve were back. Natasha and I met up and we walked back to my place together for some drinks. Fury had to talk to Steve about something so I texted him and told him if he needed a drink that my door is open.

Later that night Natasha had went back to her place leaving me alone. So I turned up some music and blasted it and danced around my apartment like an idiot. That was fun. Then I was getting ready to go to bed when I heard a frantic knock at my door.  I learned from the last time this happened and looked through my peep hole before opening the door. It was Sharon, Sharon Carter.

"Hey Sharon what's up?, wait what's wrong?"

"Ali, Natasha should be the one to tell you this but I told her that you would meet her there. It's Fury, he's, he's not good Ali. He's in the hospital."

"Nick." I whispered under my breath. I grab my jacket and car keys and rush to the hospital as fast as my black audi will take me. I rush into the hospital but I'm too late. I see Maria Hill, then Steve, then I look and see Natasha, She's looking down at Nick, he's dead. I walk up next to her and grab her hand, she leans on my shoulder in an attempt to comfort me. Steve comes up behind us.

"Ali, Natasha." He whispers.

Natasha storms off and I look back at him.

"Go, I'll be fine." I say as though nothing phased me.

He rushes off to talk to Natasha. They're close, it's nice. Knowing that he'll take care of her when I can't. I turn back to look at Nick. I am barely holding back my tears when Maria come up behind me and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Ali, come on, let me take you home." She says. I just nod and follow her out of the hospital.  I pass Natasha on my way out and hug her and tell her I'm going back home for some rest. Maria drives me home and tells me that we can go get my car tomorrow.

I thank her and then enter my apartment building then I open my door and close it behind me. Then I break. I lean against the door and slide down it, crying. Nick was like a father to me and Natasha. He helped me in a time when I thought no one else would.He gave me  home, a family.  And now he's gone. Who ever did this to Nick is going to pay,  and I'll be damned if he gets away with it.