Chapter 26

A couple hours later we make it back to the compound. I wake Evvie up and we walk off the jet. She's death gripping my hand as she walks close to my side. I take her to one of the briefing rooms. I sit her down in a chair and I kneel in front of her.

"How are you feeling?" I ask her.

"Cold, tired, and hungry." She mumbles.

"I'll go get you some clothes and food okay?" I tell her.

"No! please don't leave me alone." She says and she starts to cry. She falls into my arms.

"Shhh, it's gonna be okay. I'm here and your safe okay? No one is going to hurt you." I tell her. She pulls away for a moment and looks into my eyes.

"Promise?"

"I promise" I say and she hugs me again. After she calms down I call Natasha and Wanda into the room.

"Evvie, I'd like you to meet some people. This is my sister Natasha and my friend Wanda." I say to her.

"It's nice to meet you Evvie." Wanda says.

"We've heard a lot about you," Natasha says. "Wanda and I are going to look after you while Alina goes to get you some clothes and food okay?" Nat finishes. Evvie looks to me for approval.

"You can trust them. Natasha went through the same thing we did, and Wanda has went through something similar." I tell her. She just nods and I leave to go get her clothes and food. I go up to my room to change out of my mission suit. I grab her some of my clothes and head down to the kitchen. I start to make her a sandwich when Steve comes in.

"How is she?" He asks me.

"She's scared Steve. She was tortured, she's just a kid." I tell him.

"If she's anything like you or Natasha, she'll come out stronger than this." Steve tells me. I smile and look up at him.

"I hope so." I tell him and I take her food towards the briefing room. He follows holding the clothes. I walk into the room and Nat and Wanda leave. Steve follows me into the room. I set the plate in front of Evvie.

"Hey, this is a friend of mine, his name is Steve." I tell her.

"Hi Evvie, It's nice to meet you." Steve says to her.

"You're Captain America" She says to him.

"Yes, I am." He says. She smiles.

(In Russian)

"How often do you and your friends make fun on him for his costume?" She asks me.

"All the time" I say and laugh at Steve's confused face.

"He doesn't understand Russian?" She asks me.

"No, he doesn't. It's hilarious" I tell her.

(Back to English)

"Do I want to know what you two are saying?" Steve asks. Evvie and I make eye contact.

"No" We say in unison. She eats her sandwich and I take her up to my room so she can change. I take her on a tour around the compound.

"Do you like it here?" She asks me.

"I do. Were all like one big family here. We take care of each other. You'll like it" I tell her.

"Where is my sister?" She asks me.

"Evvie, I'm so sorry but she uh, She's dead." I say to her as a tear falls down my face.

She just looks at me with tears building up in her eyes.

"Really?"She asks me.

"Yes." I say in a whisper. "Would you like to go say goodbye?"

"Yes please" She replies. I take her out to where I buried Svetlana, under the willow tree at the edge of the grounds overlooking the Hudson. I picked some flowers and hand then to Evvie as we approach Svetlana's grave. She says some beautiful Russian prayers. I step back to try to give her a little privacy. As she finishes Natasha come up and stands next to me.

"Care if Wanda and I borrow her for a bit?" She asks me.

"Not at all" I reply. Evvie gives me a hug before she leaves with Natasha back to the compound. I decide to take a walk through the woods to clear my head. I start to take a walk following the trail that winds around the grounds. I feel like I'm being watched. I stop and look at my surroundings. I see nothing so I decide to keep walking. I stop, close my eyes, and take a deep breathe. Two arms grab my shoulders and push me into a tree. I open my eyes and a hand covers my mouth. I stare into his eyes in fear. Once I realize who it is I'm more at ease. He removes his hand from my mouth.

"Bucky?" I question him. "What the hell are you doing here?" I ask.

"Keeping an eye on Steve, and you." He tells me.

"Why me?"

"I saw what they put you through. I heard your screams." He says. The memories come flooding back into my head. I look away from him as my eyes tear up. I close my eyes trying to forget the memories. I open my eyes and look at Bucky.

"Why didn't you do anything? "I ask him.

"I tried to, they put my brain back into the blender each time." He explains.

"I'm sorry." I tell him.

"There was nothing either of us could've done." He reassures me.

"Don't tell Steve you saw me here." He tells me.

"Why? Where are you going?" I ask him.

"To start over" and just like that he disappears into the woods.

I make my way back to the compound. I find Natasha, Wanda, and Evvie in the living room talking about something. Once I come in they stop talking.

"Did I interrupt something?" I ask.

"No" They all three respond at the same time.

"Okay" I say with a hint of sarcasm and walk away. About 2 weeks later all of us are eating breakfast. Tony comes bursting through the doors.

"I have a surprise for all of you. I'm throwing a party." He tells us.

"Shocking" Sam says and I laugh.

"Oh come on Sammy it'll be fun." Tony says.

"Come on Sam, his parties are actually fun. And I'll be there" I say trying to persuade him to come.

"Fine, I'll be there" He gives in.

"Yay" I say to him and smile. "So, when is this party?" I ask Tony.

"Tonight" He says.

"Well then I better go get ready" I say.

"It's gonna take you all day to prepare for a party?" Steve asks.

"Uh yeah. It takes time to look this good all the time" I say and head towards my room. I go take a shower while playing Ariana Grande in my bathroom. I sign along with her song "Everyday" Once I'm finished with my shower I go to get dressed. As I walk out of my bathroom I see Tony sitting on my bed. I jump and gasp.

"Jesus Tony what the hell, you ever heard of knocking?" I say.

"How come I never knew you could sing like that?" He asks me.

"No one except Nat and Wanda know I sing." I tell him.

"Your gonna sing at the party tonight." He tells me.

"No I'm not." I tell him.

"We'll see." He says and leaves my room.