Twelve: The Past Begining

12 year old Nadeen hid around the corner and listened to the two brothers talk about her.

"We can't just keep her Sam, she's not a stray dog. She's a kid, who has a family."

"From what she's told us, I don't think they'd be filing a missing child report."

She walked away having heard enough. The brothers continued to talk.

"Sam." Dean sighed.

"Look, let her stay. And if we hear anything on the news or read anything in the paper, then we simply take her back. She seems like a good kid Dean, but She's all alone." Dean rubbed his face.

"Fine. She can stay. For now."

Nadeen waited until the brothers were asleep that night. She grabbed a bag she found and filled it with food from their kitchen. She quietly made her way up the stairs and out of the bunker.

She walked having no clue where she was going. What direction she was in. She just walked. She had gained hope and trust in the Winchesters in the few hours she knew them, that they'd actually let her stay. She didn't want them to force her back to the school so she decided that leaving was her best option.

Not even twenty minutes later, She could hear the rumble of a car behind her. She turned around and seen the familiar Impala. She sighed as they pulled up next to her.

"Hey, what're you doing?" Sam asked.

"Im doing you guys a favor and leaving."

"What do you mean you're leaving? Where do you have to go?" Dean asked. She shrugged.

"I don't know. But at this point anywhere is better than being sent back to that school." The brothers got out the car and stood in front of her.

"We're not sending you back." Dean said.

"We decided that it's probably better for you to stay with us." Sam said.

"Really?" They both nodded. She nodded as well causing the two of them to smile softly.

"Alright let's get you back to bed kid."

Months Later

In a matter of months, Nadeen grew close to the brothers. She picked up a lot of their behavior like most kids do. She was the little sister the Winchester brothers never had. She quickly brought a certain happiness to their lives.

One night, Nadeen and Dean were having dinner together. Granted it was burgers and fries, again, but they ate happily. Sam was on a case and they both agreed Nadeen wasn't ready to tag along or be alone in the bunker just yet.

"How do you get rid of a ghost or spirit?" Dean quizzed as they ate.

"You get this right and you can get your birthday gift early." Granted her birthday was the next day, but Dean was excited to give his gift.

"If my gift is on the line you should've given me a harder question." She grinned.

"Find the bones. Salt them. Burn em." She shrugged. Dean nodded.

"Well you get your gift then." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace. It was a locket in the shape of wings with their initials on the back.

"It's custom made." She smiled taking it from him.

"I love it. Thank you Dean." She got up to hug him. He smiled hugging her back. They finished eating and cleaned everything up before going off to bed.

Dean woke up in the middle of the night to loud screams coming from Nadeen's room. He shot up quick and grabbed his gun rushing to her room. Once he seen it was empty, he rushed over to the screaming girl.

"Hey wake up kid." He sat her up and tried to get her to open her eyes. She had stopped screaming and was now crying.

"Nadeen!" He yelled. Her eyes shot open. She gasped for air as if she was deprived of it. Dean placed his hand on her clammy forehead.

"Dean?" She asked while looking at him.

"You okay?" He asked. She nodded.

"I think so."

"That was the third one this week. Do you remember that one?" He asked. She shook her head.

"No. Not at all."

Dean stayed with her until she finally went back to sleep. As he left her room, Sam was coming down the stairs.

"Another one?" He asked. Dean nodded and started making coffee.

"Yup. Im just not getting it. From the way she screams, you'd think somethings killing her. She wakes up drenched in sweat and doesn't remember anything."

"Maybe she just doesn't want to remember." Sam shrugged putting down his bag and the box he carried.

"Could it be that bad?" Dean asked.

"Who knows." Sam sighed sitting down.

"What's in the box?"

"Her gift. I got her the complete Harry Potter series. I know she's tired of reading research books."

"Nerds." Dean snorted.

"Did you get the blade?" He asked. Sam nodded reaching into his jacket. They were planning on teaching Nadeen how to defend herself. Gifting her with the blade was only the begining.