Sleep paralysis

It had been years since it last happened. Years since Marinette had woken up to find that she couldn't move or talk. Years since she'd stared, eyes glued, at the shadowy man at the foot of her bed; his piercing violet eyes burning away the darkness. He was back.

Panic swept through Mari and her breath grew quick and sharp. She cried, struggling to gain her boyfriend Adrien's attention with her hums.

The man began to slowly make his way to Marinette's side. She was screaming with her mouth closed. Her eyes, tears falling from them, bravely followed him with a glare.

He grinned terrifyingly calm, even let out a small laugh as he stood over Marinette. Go away! Mari thought, hoping he could somehow hear her and listen. But it of course was futile.

Adrien mumbled something incoherent, barely awake and not aware of his girlfriend's literal paralyzing fear.

But, for some reason, that small act seemingly was enough for the man to doubt himself and fade away. His eyes were the last thing to leave, still glaring at Mari.

She never wanted him to return. She just wanted to wake up, fully, and latch onto Adrien until morning. Mari hummed louder and tried moving her fingers. They moved ever so slightly as Adrien stirred.

"Mari? You-" He stopped talking once he realized she was in sleep paralysis. Adrien immediately moved closer to Mari, his head hovering over hers, and placed his hand on his girlfriend's cheek to calm her. "Hey, it's okay. Breathe. Focus on my eyes."

Mari focused her eyes into Adrien's emerald green ones. As Adrien moved his thumb to wipe away her tears, she could move her fingers.

"There's no need to cry, your doing great babe." He whispered before leaning down to kiss Mari.

As Adrien pulled away, Mari was able to move her arms. She slowly lifted her hand and placed it on Adrien's, feeling safe in his presence. After a minute or so, she was finally able to move her whole body again. She cracked a small but grateful smile and said, "He's back Adrien, help me."

Adrien's heart broke to hear that Mari, Ladybug, the savior of Paris and fearless warrior was terrified. It was so uncommon for her to be this scared, which worried and broke him more. He sat up and pulled Mari up too, taking her hands in his. "I know he scares the crap out of you Mari, so I'm going to do whatever it takes to make him go away. Forever. And I promise he will never return so long as I'm here."

Marinette sniffled and hugged him tightly. He buried his face in her neck, hiding his few tears from her.

They pulled apart and Mari smiled and asked, "We're a team, right?"

She held out a fist as Adrien grinned and replied, "Always."

He held out his fist and they fist bumped.

"Pound it."