Panic attack

(A/N: this is based on how I experience panic attacks and I tried to be as descriptive as possible so if something like this will trigger something for you, please don't read this.)

There was another akumatized person. The fourth in five days, which was a lot for Ladybug and Chat Noir. It seemed like more and more citizens were becoming vulnerable to Hawkmoth, or maybe he was growing stronger?

Either way, it was beyond stressful for them. The pair found themselves patrolling more, losing lots of sleep, and slowly falling behind in schoolwork, which made life even more stressful.

And it scared the crap out of Adrien. Every time he was under this much stress, his anxiety just busted through the roof. He recalled when his mother had disappeared and his father became less approachable; he'd been trying to do homework when he got stuck on a problem, it just spiraled downward from there.

The crying. The shaking. The thoughts. Chat bit his lip, focusing on the villain in front of them. The villain was turning things to melted marshmallow, they'd presumed she was a baker or cook.

"Chat, I think I know where her akuma is," Ladybug said, eyes narrowed at the villain.

"Where, m'lady?" He asked, elongating his staff, ready to fight.

"In her bracelet, she keeps pressing stuff on it," she said. "We should split up and trap her with my yo-yo. You distract her and once she's contained, break her bracelet."

A surprising thought struck Chat when she said  that. And he felt something weird.....fear? He was never scared as Chat, ever. He swallowed, trying to focus on asking the question. "And what if it doesn't work?"

Ladybug looked at him, surprised, before assuredly saying, "Why wouldn't it work?"

She could notice you! And stick you in the marshmallow stuff! Or both of us! What if she even takes over Paris because we do something stupid? What am I thinking? Chat shook his head and prepared to split up.

He took off to the right as Ladybug went left, the villain in between them. As he jumped over to a new roof, a provoking thought found its way into his mind: What if I die?

He couldn't stop himself from gasping, his brain playing out all the different ways it would happen. Chat hadn't realized he was slowing until the villain shot at him, missing his shoulder just barely. I'm dying!

He couldn't focus, even as he jumped down in front of the villain. His moves were sloppy and he was clearly distracted. Tears pricked his eyes and he just fell to his knees, terrified, as he believed he was going to die.

I'm gonna have a heart attack! Or I have a disease! What if I can't be saved? Oh my god I'm dying. I'm dying!!!

The villain grunted as she was contained by Ladybug's yo-yo.

I'm shaking! This means I'm dying!!
I'm losing oxygen!! I'm gonna suffocate!!

"Chat!"

I can't be saved! I'm dying! I'm dying! It's just me and, it's just me, and - and I'm dying.

"What's wrong? Hurry up!"

He looked up, his cheeks wet and vision blurry.

Break her bracelet! But she's gonna kill me! I'm gonna die! I am dying!

He stood up and almost fell, his legs suddenly weak.

Nothing's real!! This is all fake and I'm dying! I'll disappear forever and so will everyone else!!

Sobs escaped him as he walked forward, the villain trying to escape but Ladybug pulled tighter. "Chat! What's wrong?"

I - can't! I'm gonna die before I even make it to her!! I'm gonna have a heart attack!! But none of this is real so why am I dying?!

"C-Cat-Cataclysm."

Power surged through him to his fingertips.

It's the heart attack!!! I'm dying!!! This is it!!
I'm gonna die right now!!

He touched the bracelet and it crumbled off, a purple butterfly flew out.

My life will be gone just like that! Instantly!! I'm dying!! Help me!!

Chat fell to his knees again, hunched over and clutching his stomach, sobs escaping his lips often.

I'm dying! None of this is real!! It's an illusion!!! Everything's fake!!!

Something touched his shoulder and he flinched away. It disappeared but a soft voice replaced it, "Chat Noir, tell me what's going on. How can I help you?"

He whipped his head up and stared deeply into her eyes, "I'm dying!!! Ladybug I'm dying! I'm so scared!!!"

"You're not dying, you're safe Chat."

"I know I am! But I'm dying! My - my anxiety." He tried explaining it to her but was scared it would make it worse, so he grabbed her hand and stared at the dots on her costume.

28

29

30

Breathe.

After many minutes of Chat fighting off his mental demons, and Ladybug only doing things he told her would help, his attack eased away.

But the unease hadn't left yet. So Lady uh was reluctant to let him go when his ring beeped, even though she had been adamant on not knowing each other's identities.

"I'll be fine," Chat tried assuring her. "I live close by."

"But you could fall into another attack!" She protested.

"Then I'll just have my, my parents help me," He forced a smile on his face, knowing he'd never let his father know about this, not yet anyway.

Ladybug looked guilty as he released her hand from his grasp and stood up. His legs still felt weak, and he had to bite his lip to force himself not to drown back into his thoughts.

That didn't help convince Ladybug to let him go though. He only left when her earrings beeped, he hadn't even known she'd used her lucky charm.

Before she left though, Ladybug said, "Chat, please know that I want you to be happy, and that if you ever need help, I'm here."

He smiled and replied, "Thank you, m'lady." Then turned and quickly ran home.