Chapter 11

It's now Wednesday and I haven’t spoken to Brian.  I still bring him his coffee in the morning, but I don’t speak a word.  I wouldn't say I’m angry at him, I'm just upset with the way he just assumed that Harry was using me.  I want to start talking to him again, but I don’t know what to say. I suck at confrontation, especially when it’s my best friend.

“Morgan.”  Brian stops me on the way in.  “Why are you not speaking to me?”  I’m happy he stopped me to talk, but not in the morning.

I sigh and stop walking towards the elevator, turning around to face him.  “You know why.”

“That is the most childish response.”

“Well that just fits my character, right?  I don’t know how to make decisions for myself?”  See I’m snippy in the morning.

He now sighs.  “Darling, you might not see it now and maybe neither does he, but he is using you.  I’m sorry you don’t like my opinion because it doesn’t align with yours.”

I grit my teeth, refraining from saying something that I will regret in the future.  “It’s not that I’m mad about your opinion, you’re entitled to it, but I hate that I felt judged.  You told me you would never judge me but you did. I saw it in your eyes and I hated it. I got enough judgement from my other friends and family, I don’t need it from you.”  I realize now that I hadn’t kept my resolve like I thought I would. Instead, I feel a small tear run down my cheek.

This is so dramatic, especially to happen in the lobby of an office building, but it needs to happen.  Even though it has only been a day and a half I need to solve this with Brian. He doesn't know about my family and other friends because I never told him.

Reaching for me, he pulls me into a hug.  He’s very tall, like Harry, so I bury my head into his chest.  I don’t break down and sob, I haven’t done that in a few months, but I do let a few tears trickle down my face, onto his shirt.

"Sorry."  I say as I pull away and wipe my tears from my face.

"No, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to judge you.  I just want what's best for you and I know Harry got out of a serious relationship not too long ago.  I don't want you to be a rebound." He tells me, taking my face in his hands.

I shrug.  "It's okay.  It's not going to happen again.  We both made that clear." I choke out a laugh.  "I need to accept that position now. I really think I can do it."

"That's amazing darling!  I'm so proud of you." Those five words almost made me sob.  No one but my mom has ever told me they were proud of me. I'm sure my dad did when I was younger but definitely not in my older years.

My face breaks out in a huge smile.  "Thank you Brian. That means the world to me.  I think I’ll wait a little longer to accept. Make Mr. Styles sweat a little.”  I joke.

Brian laughs at my statement.  “Honestly that would be so funny.  He’d get very desperate and you might convince him to pay you more or give you more days off.”

“That might work.”  I wink at him and decide it’s time for me to actually get to work this morning.  “I also have something exciting to tell you at lunch!” I say excitedly.

His jaw drops.  “You’re gonna keep me hanging like that?  Rude.” He jokingly yells after me as I step onto the elevator.

I get up to my office and check my emails.  Nothing super exciting has been going on so I just start to delete them.

Then, being the proactive person I am, I decide to start writing the script to set up a firewall.  You can use the firewall on Windows but since it’s pre-programed it’s not the best. Harry didn’t even know he had one set up, but thank God he did.  He says he thinks someone is stealing his information and money so if I make the firewall strong enough maybe it’ll stop.