Chapter 12

I walk into Harry's office and he's on the phone.

"I pay you to follow the finances of my company and now I find out I've had over a million pounds stolen from me in one shot?"  He practically growls into the phone. Oh shit. "Find it. That's your fucking job isn't it?"

I swallow hard, both intimidated and turned on by his aggressive tone.  "They should need your approval for that money to be moved." I whisper to him.

He nods.  "And why the fuck was I not notified that such a large sum of money was being transferred to an off shore account that I have no transfers with in the past?"

A million pounds.  A million pounds gone in a matter of hours because of a fake link sent to him from a fake email.  Fuck I should hold a training on what not to click on in an email.

Looking over the email, I could tell that it was fake.  There were misspelled words and weird punctuation. Even my name was spelled wrong, that's fucking annoying.

I lay down on the couch Harry has in his room while he's still yelling at people.  I don't blame him. Sure, this is probably a billion dollar company at this point, but that doesn't mean it's okay for someone to siphon off a million pounds.  I'm stressed, I can't even imagine Harry.

To escape the stress I am currently feeling, I plug my headphones into my phone and play Spotify.  It's my usual 70's playlist and the first song is Superstition by Stevie Wonder. I close my eyes and take in the music.  This is a habit I picked up when I was 16 and 17 and the stress of my life was getting to me. The upbeat music calming me.

After that song ends, Renegade by Styx comes on.  I reach over to the side table where I placed my pen and notebook when I walked in.  I open the notebook and start writing down what I have to do and look through to make sure I hit every avenue.  My job is to make sure the person who go in didn't leave anything behind or open anything to get back in.

After what feels like hours, I feel a tap on my shoulder.  "Sorry to interrupt," Harry starts speaking, "but I'm gonna go to lunch if you would like to join?  Brian can come too."

I look at my laptop that is now open and searching through the network.  "Thanks for the invite, but I really need to get this done."

"You can't take a break?"

I shrug, "I could, but I'm not hungry." I lie.  I'm starving but I can't go to lunch with him. If I find out any more personal information on him, it ruins the whole "work only" relationship we agreed upon.

"Okay, well I'll be at lunch with Brian then."

When he said Brian's name for a second time, I realized I forgot to tell him the big news.  The news isn't huge but Brian will think it is. The news is more of a distraction for me.

"Actually, I have to tell Brian something so I'll come downstairs with you, but then I'll come back up.  Let me just make sure that my computer won't go to sleep in the time I'm gone. That'll fuck this whole thing up."

Harry doesn't respond so I continue typing away on the computer for about 2 minutes.  I stand up from the couch and realize I haven't moved from my spot in a few hours. It feels good to walk around.

Harry opens the door and we silently step out and walk to the elevator.

"So," he starts as he pushes the ground floor button, "what are you doing exactly?"

I smile at him, "I don't think you would fully understand what I'm about to say but I can try."

"You can dumb it down for me."  He suggests.