Waking Up

Scene Switch: Star Labs

[It's dark and we see a hazy image of a woman, Caitlin Snow, and a man, Cisco Ramon.]

Caitlin: What are you doing?

Cisco: He likes this song.

"I'm assuming that you're talking about Barry," Felicity stated. Caitlin and Cisco nod in answer.

Caitlin: How could you possibly know that?

Diggle looks at Caitlin with a pensive face and tells her, "You seem fed up with him."

Cisco: I checked his Facebook page. I mean, he can hear everything, right?

Caitlin: Auditory functions are the last sensory faculties to degenerate.

Cisco: [singing as Barry wakes up, scaring them] Oh my God!

Most of the viewers had the same reaction as Cisco. Nora adopted her patented motherly look as she said, "That must have given you a scare."

Barry: Where am I?

Caitlin: He's up.

Cisco: [into a speaker] Dr. Wells, get down to the cortex, like, right now.

Caitlin: [checking up Barry] ... 110, pulse 120. Pupils equally reactive to light [he tries to get up] Look at me. Look at me.

"Good reflexes," Oliver praises.

Cisco: Hey, hey, hey. Woah, relax. Everything's okay, man. You're at S.T.A.R. Labs.

Barry: S.T.A.R. Labs... Who are you?

Cisco: I'm Cisco Ramon. She's Caitlin-Dr. Snow.

Caitlin: [holding up a cup] I need you to urinate in this.

Everyone, sans Oliver, Barry, and Caitlin, were laughing at both the request and Barry's face on the screen.

Cisco: [taking it from her] Not this second.

Barry: [trying to get away from them] What is happening? What is going on?

"Poor Barry," Felicity mumbled, "he must have been so confused."

Cisco: You were struck by lightning, dude.

Barry: [looks at both of them and turns away, facing a reflective surface] Lightning... gave me abs?

Most of the room began to crack up laughing at Barry's complete bewilderness. "My cousin was struck by lightning once," Dig began, "all he developed was a stutter."

Caitlin: Your muscles should be atrophied but instead they're in a chronic and unexplained state of cellular regeneration.

Cisco: Come here, have a seat. [Barry sits] You were in a coma.

Everyone was sobered and deathly quiet when the topic was shifted back to Barry's coma.

Barry: For how long?

[A voice says, 'Nine months'. Everyone turns around to see Dr. Wells, in a wheelchair, smiling at them.]

"N-nine months?" Nora and Henry ask in shock. Barry nods and Nora comes rushing over and pulls Barry into her arms. She leads him back to where she and Henry were sitting and pushed him to sit between the two of them.

Dr. Wells: Welcome back, Mr. Allen. We have a lot to discuss.

[Barry and Dr.Wells are walking down a corridor.]

Barry: It's hard to believe I'm here. I have always wanted to meet you face-to-face.

Dr. Wells: Yeah? You surely went to great lengths to do it. S.T.A.R. Labs has not been operational since FEMA categorized us as a class four hazardous location. Seventeen people died that night, many more were injured.

[Camera pans over to an empty cage with a nametag 'GRODD'. They both stand on a balcony overlooking the destroyed particle accelerator.]

Caitlin looks down sadly.

Dr. Wells: Myself among them.

Barry: What happened?

Dr. Wells: Nine months ago, the particle accelerator went online exactly as planned. For 45 minutes I had achieved my life's dream, and then... there was an anomaly. The electron volts became immeasurable, the ring under us popped. Energy from that detonation was thrown into the sky, and that in turn, seeded a storm cloud-

Barry: That created a lightning bolt... that struck me.

Dr. Wells: That's right. I was recovering myself when I heard about you.

[Flashback to the hospital.]

Dr. Wells VO: The hospital was undergoing unexplainable power outages every time you were going into cardiac arrest, which was actually a misdiagnosis, because, you see, you weren't flatlining, Barry. Your heartbeat was moving too fast for the EKG to register it.

"But," Henry started, "that shouldn't be possible! How could his heart have moved that fast?"

[Current Dr. Wells with Barry coming back to the Cortex.]

Dr. Wells: Now, I'm not the most popular person in town these days, but Detective West and his daughter gave me permission to bring you here where we were able to stabilize you.

Barry: Iris?

Dr. Wells: Iris, yes. She came to see you quite often.

Caitlin: She talks a lot.

"Hey!" Iris took offence.

Cisco: Also, she's hot.

"What?! Ew! No!" Iris shivered as Cisco answered.

Barry: I need to go.

Caitlin: No, you can't.

Dr. Wells: No, no, no. Caitlin's right. Now that you're awake we need to do more tests. You're still going through changes even we don't know.

"Changes? What kind of changes?" everyone began to question.

Barry: I'm fine, really. I feel normal. Thank you for saving my life.

"Really?" Caitlin and Henry ask in complete bewilderment that Barry wouldn't stay after waking from a nine month coma.

[He leaves.]

Caitlin: Really?

[Barry comes back.]

Barry: Can I keep the sweatshirt?

Everyone was chuckling at Barry's dorkiness throughout the entire conversation.

Dr. Wells: Yeah, keep the sweatshirt.

Barry: Okay.

Mayer D. Slayer. "The Flash 1x01 - Barry wakes up after 9 months." Youtube, 3 Aug. 2017, youtube.com/watch?v=JYzuJUvxiao.