Chapter 2: A Long Expected Party

September 22nd finally arrived and Hobbiton was a blaze with anticipation for the party happening that evening. Tents were up and lanterns were hung from the branches of a large tree. The glow of the lanterns were quite a lovely sight as the tree was centered through a large tent in the middle of the field that the party was to be held. Wonderful and enticing food could be smelled from the northern corner of the field where an open air kitchen was set.

Tables and chairs were strewn a bout the field to accommodate all the guests that were expected to attend and extra settings were kept aside for the guests who were not invited but were attending anyway. A small stage was set aside the large tent where hobbit musicians could play so others could dance and be merry together.

Time Skip to THE PARTY

The sun had finally set and the party was in full swing. The lanterns glowing all around kept everything very well lit and every hobbit seemed to be enjoying themselves. Festivities are also well underway including dancing and Gandalf setting off fireworks for all to see. Bilbo was also going about greeting attending quests. Near were hobbits were dancing Frodo and Sam were sitting enjoying some ale at a table watching a certain two lady hobbits. Y/n and Rosie were dancing together in a circle of other hobbits while Frodo was watching Y/n and Sam Rosie. As both lady hobbits drifted near where Frodo and Sam were, Frodo whispers to Sam,

"Go on Sam! Ask Rosie for a dance!"

Sam looks sheepishly up from his ale at Rosie then to Frodo blushing ever so slightly and says,

"I think I'll just have another ale." Sam stands up after fumbling his reply to Frodo.

"Oh no you don't! Go on!" Frodo says quickly grabbing Sam and quite quickly pushing Sam onto the dance floor and into Rosie's arms. Frodo laughs aloud watching Sam stumble away with Rosie but his laughter is cut short by someone coming up next to him and saying,

"Don't think you're getting out of this either Frodo!"

Before Frodo had a chance to respond or flee, he was pulled to his feet and onto the dance floor by Y/n.

Frodo couldn't help but stare at Y/n as they both danced and spun around the dance floor. Her h/c h/l hair shining in the light of the lanterns and her e/c eyes sparkling with life and laughter. The music and dancing came to an end when shouts of "Speech! Speech!" were heard from the gathered guests. Y/n and Frodo found places to sit with Gandalf at a table near where Bilbo was standing to give his birthday speech.

"My dear Bagginses and Boffins!" Bilbo began with a smile.

"Tooks and Brandybucks! Grubbs! Chubbs! Hornblowers! Bolgers! Bracegirdles and Proudfoots!"

"ProudFEET!" an old Proudfoot hobbit grumbled loudly.

Bilbo waves dismissively as every hobbit chuckled lightly.

"Today is my one hundred and eleventh birthday!" Bilbo proudly announces.

"Happy Birthday!!" Frodo and Y/n cheer in unison.

"Alas, eleventy-one years is far too short a time to live among such excellent and admirable hobbits," Bilbo continues, "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Y/n glances at Gandalf who she notices is smiling to himself and then raises an eyebrow at Frodo who just shrugs his shoulders in response.

I've put this off for far too long." Bilbo says quietly to himself but then says to the crowd of hobbits, "I regret to announce — this is The End. I am going now. I bid you all a very fond farewell."

Looking to Frodo and Y/n Bilbo whispers "Goodbye." and puts something on behind his back and disappears.

Y/n and Frodo stare wide eyed at the stage still trying to understand what had just happened, then turning to each other and then turning to look at Gandalf who's smile had been replaced with a very deep frown.

Time skip brought to you by a joke that was in very bad taste

By the time the party had ended and Frodo and Y/n were able to return to Bag End, Bilbo had bid his goodbye to Gandalf and left everything to Frodo.

"Bilbo! Bilbo!" Frodo exclaims bursting through the front door of Bag End with Y/n hot on his heels.

Frodo stops in his tracks seeing Gandalf sitting alone in Bilbo's study. The wizard was dimly illuminated by the fire in the fireplace which was the only source of light in the room. The shadow he cast made the whole room seem darker than it actually was.

"He's gone hasn't he?" Frodo said, slowly approaching Gandalf.

"He talked for so long about leaving. I didn't think he'd really do it." Y/n sadly spoke from Frodo's side.

"Yes," Gandalf answered, "he has gone at last."

Frodo and Y/n exchanged solemn looks. They both would miss Bilbo dearly thinking they would never see him again.

"Don't be too troubled young hobbits. He'll be all right. He's gone to stay with the Elves." Gandalf said giving Frodo's and Y/n's shoulders a light squeeze.

Gandalf turns to Frodo and speaks with quite seriousness in his old voice, "He's left you Bag End Frodo. Along with all his possessions." Gandalf pauses and hands Frodo a waxed sealed envelope,

"The ring is yours now. Put it somewhere out of sight. Keep it secret. Keep it safe."

Gandalf gets up collecting his hat and staff and bids the two hobbits farewell, swiftly passing through the green front door to his wagon.  Y/n stood next to Frodo as he looked slowly between the envelope in his hand and Gandalf till he could no longer see the Grey wizard on the road.

"Frodo?" Y/n said with concern placing a hand on his shoulder

"I'm sorry Y/n.." Frodo mumbled, "I just need sometime to think."

"Alright" Y/n replied sadly. She gave Frodo a quick hug before passing through the front gate and heading back to her home.

Keep it secret. Keep it safe. Gandalf's words played over and over in Frodo's head as he walked back into Bag End.

Chapter 2 done! What do people think? Any feedback would be welcome. See you lovely people in the next chapter!

*Kalumiko*