Chapter 4: A Dire Discussion

A short time past and Gandalf, Frodo, and Y/n were sitting in the dining room. The Ring sat in center of the table carefully watched by the three. Y/n passed glances between Frodo and Gandalf but neither met her gaze. Y/n stood up and left for the kitchen to make tea to calm everyone nerves. Gandalf stayed quiet for another moment before he spoke,

"This is the One Ring. Forged by the Dark Lord Sauron in the fires of Mount Doom. Taken by Isildur from the hand of Sauron himself."

Frodo sat in silent fear. The presence Frodo now sensed that the Ring gave off sent shivers up his back and made the surrounding shadows darker than they were.

"Bilbo found it," Frodo said quietly, "In Gollum's cave."

"Yes," Gandalf replied unhappily, "For sixty years the Ring lay quiet in Bilbo's keeping, prolonging his life, delaying old age. But no longer. Evil is stirring in Mordor. The Ring has awoken and it has heard its master's call."

"Sauron was destroyed wasn't he?" Y/n finally spoke reentering the room with hot tea.

"Not entirely" Gandalf said as Y/n sat down next to Frodo.

"The spirit of Sauron endured. His life force is bound to the Ring, and the Ring survived. Sauron has returned and his Orcs have multiplied. The fortress at Barad-Dûr is rebuilt in the land of Mordor and Sauron needs only the Ring to cover all the lands in a second darkness."

Frodo jumped from his seat startling y/n and picks up the Ring. He walks out of the dining room and into the corridor leading to Bilbo's study.

"All right, we put it away. We keep it hidden. We never speak of it again. No one knows it's here, do they?" Frodo asked turning to Gandalf who had followed him into the study.

"Do they Gandalf?" Y/n asked coming up beside Gandalf.

Gandalf sighed, his shoulders falling low as he spoke,

"There is one other who knew that Bilbo had the Ring. I looked everywhere for the creature Gollum. But the enemy found him first. I don't know how long they tortured him. But amidst the torture they inflicted, they discerned two words...Shire and Baggins."

"Shire!?!?!" Y/n gasped

"Baggins?! But that would lead them here!" Frodo exclaimed

With a start Frodo held the Ring up to Gandalf,

"Take it Gandalf! Take it!" Frodo yelled

"Frodo what are you doing?!" Y/n practically screamed.

"No, Frodo." Gandalf said sternly.

"You must take it!" Frodo said more insistently.

"You cannot offer me this Ring!" Gandalf said with more urgency in his voice

"I'm giving it to you!" Frodo said practically throwing the Ring at the wizard.

"Don't tempt me Frodo!" Gandalf yelled finally breaking his composure, "I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe," Gandalf continued more quietly, "Understand Frodo, I would use this Ring from a desire to do good. But through me, it would only bring destruction."

"But it cannot stay in the shire now!" Y/n said almost in tears

"No! No, it can't" Gandalf said with what Y/n swore might have been a small smile.

Frodo looked between Gandalf and Y/n before he asked,

"What must I do?"

Short chapter but I promised to have a chapter posted today but hoping to have a longer one next posting. Hope to see you lovely people in the next chapter!

*Kalumiko*