Chapter 11: The Journey of the Fellowship Begins

The Fellowship gathered together and stood by an old stone archway, to bid farewell to Rivendell. Aragorn and Sam stood by Bill the pony. Boromir stood next to Legolas while Merry and Pippin stood in front of them. Frodo and Y/n stood holding hands in front of Bill but slightly away from the rest of the group while Gandalf stood under the stone arch.

"The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On you who travel with him no oath nor bond is laid, to go further than you will." Elrond spoke sternly.

"Farewell. Hold to your purpose. May the blessings of Elves and Men and all free folk go with you." Elrond spoke again but with more kindness in his voice.

Elrond indicated to the arch leading out of Rivendell with the spreading of his arms, and Legolas and Aragorn bow their heads with their hands upon hearts.

"The Fellowship awaits the Ring-bearer." Gandalf said.

Frodo turns around looking at each of his companions and walks forward uncertainly. Y/n gave Frodo's hand a gently squeeze as he pulled her along with him. Before them, the path winds away to either side.

"Mordor, Gandalf, is it left or right?" Frodo whispered softly to Gandalf.

"Left." Gandalf whispered back.

The Fellowship departed from beneath the old arch but Aragorn remained where he stood and turned to Arwen. The sun's rays began to pierce the valley as Aragorn soon followed behind the rest of the company over the bridge leading to the valley on the edge of Rivendell. They traveled through lush woods, over bush covered plains and mountainous hillsides. After some time, the company pauses on a hill in the wild to rest.

"We must hold this course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days. If our luck holds, the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there our road turns east to Mordor." Gandalf spoke laying out the path the Fellowship is to take.

Gandalf sat on a rock that overlooked the fellowship and knowingly smoked his pipe. Sam was cooking sausage and other food over a fire. After he had finished cooking he climbed up onto a rock beside Frodo who was watching Boromir spar with Merry, Pippin, and  Y/n. He was tutoring them in the way of sword fighting. He was battling with Pippin first.

"Two, one, five. Good. Very good." Boromir said with each move of the sword.

Aragorn sat nearby, smoking a pipe as well.

"Move your feet." Aragorn spoke with encouragement.

"You look good, Pippin." Merry praised his friend

"Thanks." Pippin replied happily.

"Faster!" Boromir commanded as he turned to battle with Y/n.

As the Hobbits continue to spar with Boromir, Gimli approaches Gandalf.

"If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they're not, I'd say we were taking the long way round. Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin, Balin, would give us a royal welcome." Gimli boasted.

Gandalf takes the pipe he was smoking from his mouth. Faint surprise and worry registered in his eyes.

"No Gimli, I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice." Gandalf warned.

During the conversation Legolas notices something amiss and looks intently towards the South. Meanwhile, Boromir continues to fight with Y/n.

"Come on Y/n. You're doing good." Boromir encouraged.

But his offers of encouragement didn't last long before Boromir accidentally nicks Y/n hand.

"Ow!" Y/n cried as she dropped her sword and held her hand.