Chapter 5: A New Journey Begins

Following the day Gandalf told the young hobbits of the One Ring, Frodo began preparations to leave Bag End. There were two hobbits that knew the real reason behind Frodo leaving Bag End. Y/n knew because she was there the night Gandalf returned and Samwise Gamgee who happened to be "gardening" outside Bag End while Gandalf was speaking. The day came for Frodo to depart and he was not going alone. Sam was going because he didn't want Frodo going off anywhere without him and Y/n was going because she wanted to make sure Frodo was safe and wanted to go on an adventure just like Bilbo.

The following morning right before dawn Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, and Y/n made their way down the road away from Bag End. Frodo and Y/n followed behind Gandalf and both carried reasonably sized travel packs on while Sam lagged a bit farther behind encumbered with pots and pans sticking up and around his bag and puffing along with Gandalf's horse. The company came to a more heavily forested area with some dense undergrowth when Gandalf decided to take his leave. Gandalf takes his horse from Sam and warns Frodo of the dangers of using the Ring's power before riding off, leaving Frodo, Sam and Y/n in the forest. They all stare around and at each other. Eventually Frodo sighs, takes up his walking stick and continues on their journey. Sam and Y/n follow behind.

The three hobbits continue their journey along the vast countryside, making their way across babbling streams, over large hills and through flower vailed meadows. Eventually they find themselves at a small growing cornfield. Frodo and Y/n walk through the corn side by side with Sam following behind but stop when they realize that Sam had stopped besides a large scarecrow.

"What's the matter Sam?" Y/n asked slightly concerned.

"This is it" was his reply.

"This is what?" Frodo asked.

"If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been" Sam said with slight sadness in his voice.

Y/n looked between the two hobbits and placed a hand on Sam's shoulder and said with a comforting smile,

"Remember what Mr.Bilbo used to say Sam?"

"What?" He asked slightly surprised

"It's a dangerous business going out your door," Frodo said "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

After several hours had past, the hobbits decided to set up camp for the night. Sam cooked a delicious meal of bacon, tomatoes and sausages while Frodo rested in a tree limb and Y/n sat on the ground at the base of the same tree. Suddenly they all stopped what they were doing and listened. Soft singing could be heard in the distance. The voices were sweet and high, singing in a strange language none of them could place a name to. Quickly and quietly they made their way through the almost peacefully forest till the came close to the edge of a well walked path and hid behind a ridge to watch.

"Who are they Frodo?" Y/n whispered

"They're wood elves Y/n. They're going to the harbour beyond the White Towers. To the Grey Havens" Frodo replies quietly.

"They're leaving Middle-Earth" Sam said solemnly.

"Never to return" Frodo added.

"It makes me sad to see" Y/n whispered.

Frodo placed a comforting arm around Y/n. She turned and smiles at Frodo and leaned on his should as they watched the Wood Elves pass slowly through the forest, some on horseback, some walking, some with banners. The group seems to give off a light of their own and their white garments softly glowing against the greens and midnight blues of the woods. After the Wood Elves had long disappeared front their sight, Sam, Frodo, and Y/n prepare for sleep. Y/n surprisingly managed to find a large comfortable tree branch to sleep, Frodo found a content spot on the forest floor to sleep on but Sam was still trying to find a comfortable spot on the ground.

"Everywhere I try to lie there's a dirty great root sticking into my back" Sam grumbled.

"Just shut your eyes, and imagine you're back in your own bed, with a soft mattress and a lovely feather pillow" Frodo said sleepily.

Y/n watches from her tree branch and giggles lightly when Sam gives Frodo a skeptical look, and settles back. After a moment Sam sighs and gives up, frustrated.

"It's not working Mister Frodo. I'm never going to be able to sleep out here" Sam grumbles again.

"Me neither, Sam" Frodo says almost half asleep.

Both Y/n and Frodo smile at his remark. Frodo and Y/n quickly drift off to sleep while Sam stares at the sky and finds something to nibble on out of his pack.

Woohoo, I finally got a chapter posted! Sorry for the long wait stuff just hit the fan and a lot of things fell apart. Hoping to get another chapter posted this week to make up for not posting in almost a month. Hope to see you lovely people in the next chapter!

*Kalumiko*
Edit-10/1/19