Chapter 6: Friends, Danger, and Mushrooms

After some time of traveling through the Shire Sam, in the middle of a field of corn, emerges onto a small path between the rows of tall vegetables. He looks back and forth noticing that he was alone.

"Mister Frodo! Miss Y/n?" He called with clear signs of panic

Sam sprinted forward calling his companions names till they both appeared round the bend in the path, Frodo looking quite puzzled and Y/n's face full of concern for her panicked friend.

"I thought I'd lost you both." Sam said with a sigh of relief walking up to Frodo and Y/n.

"What are you talking about?" Frodo asked.

"It's just something Gandalf said." Sam replied

"What did he say Sam?" Y/n asked still concerned for Sam.

"'Don't you lose them, Samwise Gamgee!' And I don't mean to." Sam said with sadness and pride in his voice.

"Sam, we're still in the Shire!" Y/n laughed.

"What could possibly happen?" Frodo added.

Suddenly, two more hobbits burst from the cornfield. Pippin knocking over Y/n with Merry, close behind, knocking over Sam, leaving Frodo still on his feet looking down at the pile of hobbits. One thing Frodo noticed right away was that both Merry and Pippin have an armful of vegetables.

"Y/n?" Pippin asked finally realizing who he had fallen on, "Merry! It's Y/n! And Sam fo Frodo as well!"

"Hello Frodo!" Merry said getting off of Sam.

"Get off her!" Frodo exclaims hauling Pippin off Y/n, "Y/n, Are you all right?"

"Yes I'm fine Frodo" Y/n said slightly blushing taking Frodo's hand and getting to her feet.

Frodo helped Y/n brush herself off then turning to Merry and Pippin with a questioning look on his face,

"What's the meaning of this?" Frodo indicated to all the fallen vegetables.

"Hold this" Merry says as he hands an arm full of carrots and lettuce to Sam.

"You've been into Farmer Maggot's crop!" Sam yells at Merry and Pippin

Suddenly a barking dog and an angry, yelling voice could be heard coming closer to the group of hobbits. Pippin grabs Frodo who in turn grabs Y/n's hand and runs, followed by Merry. Sam does a double take on the sudden disappearance of everyone and the produce in his hands before dropping them and running after the others.

"Hoi! You get back here!" The Farmer Maggot yells

"You two have really done it now!" Y/n pants as she runs behind Frodo.

" 'Dunno why he is so upset. It's only a couple of carrots!" Merry yells from behind Y/n.

"Wait till I get this through you!" Farmer Maggot yells louder. The top of his brandishing scythe could be seen above the corn.

"Don't forget about cabbages! And those few bags of potatoes that we lifted last week and, and the mushrooms the week before!" Pippin adds from in front of Frodo.

"Get out of my fields!" Farmer Maggot yells growing ever closer to the fleeing hobbits

"Yes Pippin! My point is, he is clearly overreactin'!" Merry stupidly points out.

"You'll know the devil if I catch up with you!" was the final yell heard from Farmer Maggot before four of the hobbits momentarily pause at edge of a gorge before Sam slams into them from behind and all roll down the hill.