CHUUNIN EXAMS

I DO NOT OWN NARUTO

So high school is an absolute nightmare, especially with this whole COVID-19 situation. One upside is that I have more time, which means I can write more :)

Hope everyone's staying safe and healthy out there!

《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》

"I'm bored," Naruko announced as she suddenly dropped down from the tree above, startling a shriek out of Sakura and a curse from Sasuke as he dropped his bento. The Uchiha survivor took a moment to grieve his beautiful, delicious, homemade bento... and then shot a glare at his fox-like blonde teammate.

"How dare you cause such a cruel, needless death!" he hissed.

Sakura blinked at him, and then leaned forward to brush her hand against his forehead. "Are you feeling okay?" she asked him in concern.

Sasuke swatted her away with a frown. "I'm fine, why?"

"Sasuke," Sakura leaned forward to take one of his hands in both of hers. "We love you. We're here for you. We know that was an incredibly tough time for you to go through on your own, and you were unbelievably young. So if you're going through a relapse, or a flashback, that's okay. We'll be here when you wake back up to reality. I promise."

Naruko was stifling laughter with her hand as Sasuke grew even more confused. "What? Sakura, what in the world are you talking about?"

"No one died, Sasuke," Sakura said slowly, still looking at him with a concerned air. "This is the year 2003, not 1997. Okay?" (1)

Sasuke slammed his free hand onto his forehead. "I know that, Sakura!" he groaned as the girls promptly burst into laughter. "I'm talking about my bento!" With a very un-Uchiha-like, dramatic flair, Sasuke pointed at the food lying on the grass. "It died a tragic and premature death! And all because of her!" he spat venomously at Naruko, who raised a skeptic eyebrow at him.

"If that's what all the drama is about, no problem. I'll treat you to lunch."

"As long as it's not ramen," Sakura agreed, standing up. "You need a more balanced diet, and no offense meant, but I sincerely doubt that Kakashi has time to ensure that."

"None taken, he's very irresponsible," Naruko said nonchalantly.

"So? What are we having for lunch?" Sasuke asked as he joined them.

Naruko instantly looked sheepish. "I was gonna go to Ichiraku's... but Sakura just said not to."

The pinkette shook her head with a laugh. "Okay, how about we go back to my place and I cook something for you guys?"

Naruko lit up, "You cook, Sakura-chan?"

Sakura flushed and nodded, suddenly shy. "My parents are often away a lot, so I had to learn to take care of myself. And unlike you," she teasingly tapped Naruko's nose, "I was smart enough to learn how to cook things other than instant ramen. And not to toot my own horn but I can make a pretty good omurice, if you're interested."

"I'm interested," Naruko said at once, blue eyes gleaming at the very thought of food.

Sasuke smiled with a hint of gratitude. "I'd like that too. Thanks, Sakura."

The pinkette smiled and came around between them as she looped her arms through theirs. "Let's go then. My house is this way."

The three started their idle chit-chat; it was nice, Naruko supposed, to have two children her age she could do anything and everything with. It made her miss Gaara and Fuu because the three of them had been together from the very beginning. But that wasn't to say she didn't like hanging out with Sakura and Sasuke any less; in fact, the three of them had been practically inseparable after their first mission out of the village.