INVASION

I DO NOT OWN NARUTO

I've been looking forward to finally publishing this particular chapter, and I had a lot of fun (probably more than necessary) writing it. It's probably one of my favourites and you will soon find out why :)

《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》《》

Naruko's eyes narrowed as shinobi and civilian alike fell asleep around her — genjutsu. Thanks to being bonded with a Bijuu, she was immune to genjutsu, and thus had no need to learn how to detect or release herself from it. Casting a quick look around, she found that all the Kage were awake — expected, but it still gave her a sense of relief. Over at the spectator stand, all shinobi ranked Chuunin and above had realized it was a genjutsu and released themselves. Naruko was pleased to see that Sakura was the only shinobi below Chuunin still awake; genjutsu had always been the pinkette's forte.

And then there was a miniature explosion, and a large plume of smoke rose from the Kage stand. Naruko, Sasuke, Kakashi and Gai jerked around to look at the source of the noise.

'Shit,' Gaara cursed. 'The operation's started. And I completely forgot to warn Naruko...' He briefly closed his eyes with a sigh. 'That's what happens when you reunite with people you love after so long, I suppose.' He glanced up at his siblings, who met his eyes and gave him identical, imperceptible nods. His eyes moved to the spectator stands and found his sensei — Baki — who also gave him a nod. 'Well, I guess I should be thankful I managed to convince some people, at the very least. It'll help Konoha in repelling the forces.'

"Hokage-sama!" Gai shouted as he and Kakashi made to head towards the site of explosion, but were cut off by three ANBU.

"Leave it to us!" one of them called as the cloaked and masked figures darted to the right, joined by more and more ANBU.

Naruko glanced first at them, and then at the two Jonin. Kakashi had summoned Pakkun, and it appeared Sakura was heading over her way. The blonde quickly turned to Shikamaru, who had fallen under the genjutsu— her eye twitched. "Shikamaru," she growled quietly, "you... are you sleeping to avoid conflict?" she hissed almost incredulously. It seemed her friend's laziness had absolutely no limits; she would tolerate it if only he could deduce when was an appropriate time to laze around and when wasn't. Having Konoha invaded definitely fell under the inappropriate circumstances.

"Incoming chakra signatures, and lots of them," Kurama warned. Naruko's jaw clenched; she sensed a faint Killing Intent emanating from the Kage rooftop. Steeling herself, she remembered her brothers were more than capable of taking care of themselves. As was the Old Man. She had to focus on what was right in front of her.

At that moment, Sakura and Pakkun arrived. "So here's a rundown of what Kakashi-sensei told me," the pinkette began, "Suna and Oto are invading Konoha, but here's where it gets a little bit confusing: apparently Suna was divided on it or maybe there are rebels? Dunno, but we can see them fighting each other."

Naruko paused, and then smiled, her eyes drifting down to her redheaded brother who had used his sand to shield himself, Genma and Sasuke from stray weapons. He was also using spare sand to knock out various Oto and Suna shinobi — taking care to avoid those on his side — and did his best refrain from permanently incapacitating unless there was no other option.

'You're the best, Gaa-chan.' Naruko looked back up at Sakura, and frowned at the lack of another presence. "Where's Fuu?"

"She went to the infirmary with Hinata," Sakura answered. "They went to see if the Genin were affected the genjutsu, and if any of them were capable enough to— Naruko, look out!"