Chapter 6

Nia was walking through the school hallway with little conviction. Her earphones blocked out the world, and she avoided interaction. When she spotted Tess laughing with another girl, jealousy crept in. As she approached Tess, their eyes met, Tess's smile faded, and she walked away. Nia halted, feeling tears welling up, and hurried to the restroom, closing the door behind her to cry silently.

Amidst her tears, she overheard laughter approaching the restroom and recognized Tess's voice.

"Tess, you're so funny," someone said, sounding flirtatious.

"Um, thanks... You're cute," Tess replied.

"Really?"

"Yeah, believe me, you are."

Nia heard footsteps and impulsively opened the door, only to witness Tess almost kissing the other girl, Zeena. Shocked and feeling betrayed, Nia's heart sank. She didn't understand why, but seeing Tess with another girl hurt. She didn't want Tess kissing anyone else; she wanted Tess to kiss her.

Wait, what?

With that realization, Nia burst out of the restroom, tears streaming down her face.

"Nia! Wait!" Tess called after her.

"Well, that's unfortunate. Don't know why she reacted like that, though. She has Miles, right? Anyways, where were we?" said Zeena.

"Just quit it, Zeena," Tess snapped, leaving her alone in the bathroom.

The rest of the day felt like everyone was intentionally irritating Nia.

"Miss Baxter! I understand my class isn't the most entertaining, but paying a bit of attention isn't too much to ask!" the teacher reprimanded her.

Startled, Nia apologized quietly.

At home, she rushed to her room, hoping to sleep, but her mom, Raven, awaited her, just like the day before.

"Mom..."

"Oh, Nia..." Raven sighed dramatically.

"Mom, not now. I'm really not in the mood."

"I know, sweetheart. I'm sorry. I had a vision of you being shot in school for not paying attention. That's not like you. And I noticed you haven't joined us for dinner in three days. What's going on, Nia?"

"Mom, seriously. It's not the right time."

"Nia, talk to me!" Raven's voice rose a bit too loud.

That was the breaking point for Nia.

"You really want to know? Fine! Miles is cheating on me! My best friend won't talk to me because of something I did! But I need her, Mom. I need her. And now, I'm feeling and wanting things I've never felt before toward that same best friend, and I don't know how to process it. You want to know what's going on, but I don't even know myself, Mom. I'm as lost as you are. I'm confused like never before. So please, if someone can just let me breathe for five minutes! That's all I'm asking for," Nia finally opened up. She might have yelled, and tears were on the brink, but she didn't care. She had spoken her truth, and it felt liberating.

Raven remained silent.

"Mom, say something."

"What do you want me to say, honey? You've said everything you needed to know yourself," Raven replied before leaving the room.

And it was true. All Nia needed was to realize that all this time, the only person she truly loved was her best friend, Tess.

--------------------------

Really short chapter i know but essential for the next.

But tell me what you think about it !

Sorry again for all mistakes

Take care of yourself <3