Chapter 10

"We need to talk."

Jeongyeon was so shocked to see Jae there she didn't answer. Young K, on the other hand, came to his senses faster than lightning and stop Jae before he drags Jeongyeon anywhere.

"Jae, she can't be seen with you. You know that" Young K said, rather desperately. He couldn't stand to see another scene like the one earlier in the day. And it hurts him to see even the littlest cut on Jeongyeon.

Jae knows all too well how Jihyo acts if it's related to him. She hates him to death after being rejected in front of everyone on the first day of the new semester. Although that was half Jihyo's fault for confessing in the middle of the school fountain, where everyone could see, instead of the school backyard. But the way Jae rejected her with a single 'no' is also wrong.

"Just let her go--"

"Shut up, Brian!" Jae shouted and turned to glare at his friend. 

He finally realizes that he was wrong and inconsiderate to her. He needs to explain himself and no one, not even Young K can stop him.

Jae's voice woke Jeonyeon from her shock and she tried to get away as soon as possible. Although the probability of Jihyo seeing her and Jae right now is low, there's always eyes and ears everywhere. Someone else might tell Jihyo, and she would be in living hell sooner.

"Let me go!"  Jeongyeon takes hold of Jae's hand to rip it away.

Jae couldn't lie that seeing Jeongyeon tried so hard to get away from him hurts. He knows this would happen sooner or later, but he couldn't hold back his feeling whenever he sees her.

"Come." Jae couldn't possibly let her slip away again. So even if he had to use force, he's going to get her to listen.

He pulled her further away from the classrooms. She had a feeling she knew where he's taking her, but she doesn't want to think about it. She just wants him to let her go.

"Jae, please," Jeongyeon pleaded as they walked. Jae felt his heart squished as he heard that weak and pleading voice. But he couldn't give in now. If he does, he doesn't know if there will be another chance like this.

"I'm sorry," Jae said. They reached the band room and Jae pulled her inside. She was stumbling in the darkness as Jae pulled her deeper into the room. When they finally stopped, she felt Jae's warm body around her, hugging her.

"I'm sorry," Jae repeated. Jeongyeon could feel his breath on her ears. She shivered at the sensation but held back the urge to yelp. She felt like this is not the right time.

"Which one are you sorry for?"

"Everything. I was too ignorant about Jihyo."

"And?"

Jae was confused so he lets go and look at her. "There's more?"

"Are you sorry for playing with me? Or are you the kind of celebrity that's happy to destroy their fan's heart?"

Now he's baffled. He was looking intensely at her eyes, looking for a sign of a joke. Maybe because it's dark, but he couldn't find anything there. She's being serious.

"I never played with you. Ever since I saw you in the opening ceremony, I was already mesmerized. To be honest, there were a few other girls that caught my attention at that time."

"Then--"

"But." Jae quickly interrupts her. "You were the only one that stayed for months in my head. My eyes kept on following you if we accidentally ran into each other or if I saw you from the rooftop. I was all over the place because of you. And when we finally got closer, I forgot about Jihyo and her ridiculous rules. So I got you in danger. I'm sorry."

Jeongyeon was shocked to learn of the truth. She had always thought Jae only thought of her as one of his fans, or at least a friend. She might be wrong about this, but the way Jae explained himself, she's getting a romantic signal from him.

"Can I believe that?" Jeongyeon's afraid to believe in other people after having no good memories with the people around her. She doesn't need to feel betrayed by someone she looks up to. Someone she felt like she can trust.

Jae smiled. "You have my words."

***

The school's over for the day and Jeongyeon felt like she could collapse any moment. She ended up skipping another class with Jae, just talking in the band room. It was mostly about their family, friends, and their childhood days. When they talked, Jeongyeon realized how alike they were. She lived her younger days with Bangchan only, and Jae, although he had more friends than her, was only with someone called Aaron. She was a quiet child, and so he is. 

The only difference is, Jeongyeon was always scared of other people and was bullied a lot. While Jae, he's not scared of anything, but he chooses his friends carefully. 

He was scared of being betrayed. 

When he told her that, Jeongyeon thought Jae's way of thinking is way more mature for his age.  

Jeongyeon quickly tidies up her belongings and ran out of the class to catch her bus. 

She walked past the other students in the corridor, just talking and hanging around. Her way out made her pass the classrooms that have three of Twice's first years. Momo, Mina, and Sana.

They offered her a smile as she passed, and she was grateful at least they still acknowledge her although she doesn't think talking with them like usual would be possible. Nayeon still talks to her in the class. But after the school bell rang, she excuses herself to go first. Now, she doesn't know where she is.

Jeongyeon walked down the stairs absent mindedly, or she just tried to empty her mind. All around her, pairs of eyes kept on looking at her. She doesn't want to know the meaning behind those look they're giving her, so she kept her eyes focused on where she's going. 

Looks like the rest of her school year would be hell.