IV

FOUR
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

"Despite the devastation of what has been confirmed as an extraterrestrial attack, the extraordinary heroics of the group known as the Avengers has been to many a cause not only for comfort, but but for celebration."

"It's just really great knowing they're out there. That someone's watching over us." There were multiple videos online of people making themselves look like the heroes, of parades, and political meetings.

"And then these guys were like pew pew, and then the air goes woosh! And the green guy walks up and he goes argh!" A kid demonstrated with his arms. Under it was a video of someone getting a tattoo of Steve's shield.

"I don't know. I don't exactly feel safer with those things out there. It just seems like there's a lot they're not telling us." One couple said.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break." A lovely old man scoffed.

"These so-called heroes have to be held responsible for the destruction done to this city. This was their fight. Where are they now?"

"What, this is all somehow their fault? Captain America saved my life. Wherever he is, and wherever any of them are, I would just... I would want to say thank you."

"Where are the Avengers?" One of the Councilmen asked Fury after he reviewed all the stories.

"I'm not currently tracking their whereabouts. I'd say they've earned a leave of absence." He replied.

"And the Tesseract?" The Councilwoman inquired.

"The Tesseract is where it belongs." He said. It was going to be taken home with Thor, along with Loki in tow as his prisoner. "Out of our reach."

"That's not your call." The Councilman replied.

"I didn't make it. I just didn't argue with the God that did." He shrugged.

"So, you let him take it and the war criminal, Loki, who should be answering for his crime?" The Councilman asked.

"Oh, I think he will be." Fury replied.

"I don't think you understand what you've started, letting the Avengers loose on this world. They're dangerous." The Councilwoman disagreed.

"They surely are, and the whole world knows it. Every world knows it." He eyed them all.

"Was that the point of all this? A statement?" The Councilman asked.

"A promise." Fury replied. He ended the call and resumed his normal work at S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters.

"Sir," Maria approached him. "How does it work now? They've gone their separate ways. Some, pretty extremely far. If we get into a situation like this again, what happens then?"

"They'll come back." He said nonchalantly.

"Are you really sure about that?" She asked.

"I am." He nodded.

"Why?"

"Because we'll need them to."

Immediately after the battle was over and Loki was taken into custody, the seven of them went to eat at the shawarma place. They gladly served them seeing as they saved the city from destruction in the form of aliens and missiles. Soon after, they all met up in the perfect spot to bid Thor farewell as he took the Tesseract and Loki back to Asgard with him. Bruce helped Thor put it in the safe container. Thor and Loki both grabbed one end of it, turning it. It sent them back to Asgard as the others gathered around to watch. Bruce went with Tony to talk about Stark Tower and Tony's changes for it. Steve shook his hand before he left. Clint and Natasha left together, but not before Natasha gave Meredith a hug. That left Meredith and Steve. His old motorcycle he got for cheap was parked behind her nice car. He walked over to her before he planned on leaving. "Meredith,"