XXXII

THIRTY TWO
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

People began to flood the dancefloor as they stood there staring at each other like that. Chris made his way over to where Meredith stood with Tony. He knew something was wrong ever since she began spending all her time with Tony and Pepper. She was hardly even talking to him, barely replying to his texts, but he was still holding on. He did love Meredith, but it was becoming obvious to him she couldn't love him like she loved someone else. "Can I have this dance?"

Meredith glanced over at him, and her face fell. If she was going to give Steve a second chance, then she'd have to break it off with Chris. He didn't deserve any of this, and she felt terrible. In the beginning, it was good. But as soon as she came face to face with Steve again and realized there was nothing preventing them from being together, she was always drawn back to him. He was her soulmate, and the universe knew that. Pepper always told her that if they met again, then they were truly meant to be. She didn't want to believe it because she was afraid, but Tony was right. She wasn't happy with Chris, she wasn't going to be happy with Chris no matter what she tried. Whether she forced herself to be with him, tried to have kids, and tried to push Steve into the back of her mind. She wasn't going to be happy with him knowing she had everything she ever wanted at her fingertips.

She looked to Tony, then, who nodded. He had a feeling that Chris already had an idea of what was happening, and that if she told him, he wasn't going to be too angry. He stepped away, and Chris took Meredith's hand into his. He wrapped his arm around her waist, and she loosely draped hers around his shoulder. They swayed slightly, but not really. There was hardly any enthusiasm. "You look gorgeous."

"Thank you, you look nice, too." She replied relatively quietly, he could barely hear her over the music. He let out a small sigh as he looked to the floor, but nonetheless gave her a smile.

"You should be with him." He told her, and her mouth fell slightly agape.

"How did you..."

"It may not seem like it, but I know you pretty well, Meredith. I've known from the second he came back that you were never going to care about me like you care about him. I see it everytime you look at him. I know how you've been struggling to push him away and forget about your feelings, but you shouldn't. You deserve immense amounts of happiness after everything you've been through, and I think he's the only one who can give that to you." He told her, and tears filled her eyes. She did care about Chris deeply, no matter what. He was one of the few who was actually a good guy.

"You treat me so good." She remarked as she shook her head. It wasn't fair that things were this way. She didn't understand it.

"And maybe I've treated you better than he has, but I guarantee he isn't going to take his time with you for granted now. Sometimes this is just the way things work out. It's okay." He reached up and caressed her cheek as she gave him a sad look.

"I'm sorry, Chris." She whispered out, but he managed to hear her. He just nodded, and continued to muster a smile.