XXVII

TWENTY SEVEN
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

"No, no, no. We definitely shouldn't sit Erin next to Gabriel. They're over, we can't do that to them." Meredith shook her head at Pepper as they examined the seating plan for the wedding.

"Really? I didn't know that. What happened?" She asked as she scribbled out the name and wrote in another from the list of guests.

"Erin said she ended it because it just wasn't working out. I think that it's because she's still in love with Harry." Meredith told her. Pepper chuckled.

"Sounds like someone I know." She glanced over at her with a sly smile. Meredith sighed and looked away. She wished people would stop making comments about Steve. It seemed Pepper was just as persistent as Peter.

"What are you two doing, gossiping?" Tony asked as he stepped into the lounge of the compound. He had changed so that he and Pepper could go for a run.

"Planning for the wedding. Come sit." Pepper patted the spot next to her. Tony did so, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and looking at the plans they had written out. Meredith eyed them, seeing the love they had for each other. It made her smile to know that they were happy. She felt that way about Chris, or she was trying to convince herself she did.

"Oh, no, no, no. Blue? Come on, can't we do... red?" He asked. "Ooh, better yet, red and gold."

Pepper gave him a look. "No, that'll look hideous. We're doing royal blue. The guys are gonna wear blue tuxedos and brown shoes. The ladies will wear gorgeous satin dresses."

"Who's your maid of honor?" Tony asked her.

"Meredith." She looked over at her and gave her a smile.

"Really? Me?" She asked, gesturing to herself with her hand. She was genuinely surprised. Sure, she and Pepper were really close friends, but Meredith was sure she would've chose someone else.

"Of course! You've been such a good friend to me ever since we met back in, what, 2006? When I was first hired at Stark Industries? It's crazy where we are now. It's 2018, I'm getting married, I'm the CEO." She shook her head quickly.

"Maybe something else to add to that list." He told her, giving her a look. Meredith's eyebrows furrowed together as she was confused.

"Are you still going on about that dream?" She rolled her eyes as she stood from the couch. She began to put her running shoes on, along with Tony.

"What dream?" Meredith's gaze switched between them questioningly.

"He had a dream that we're expecting. Now he thinks it's real." Pepper shook her head as she grabbed a thin quarter zip and placed it over her shoulders.

"Listen, you know those dreams you have where you pee? And then you wake up and you have to? It's like that. It was real. We named him after you eccentric uncle, what's his name... Morgan!" He told her as he reasoned with her.

"Right." She nodded slowly, dismissing him.

"Are you sure we're not—"

"No." Pepper shook her head with a slight smile. Tony was either amusing or just annoying. There was no in between. She loved him anyways, though. They worked, they understood each other. They had a great dynamic.

"Well, I'll continue working on the floor plan while you guys are gone—"

"Don't lie, you're gonna go work on upgrading the nanotech." He grinned at her, knowing his sister better than anyone.