XXX

THIRTY
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

While Meredith and Rocket were working in the lab late the next night, Pepper walked in. She'd been stopping by every night to see what progress they've made. Work at Stark Industries was paused. Work just about anywhere was paused. How could anyone show up when they'd lost some of their family? How could anyone show up when they were gone? "Hey, Pep."

"Hey, Mer. Rocket." She greeted both of them. She glanced around at what they were working on. The images of missing people haunted them all. The thought of never seeing Tony again made Pepper sick. "Meredith, can I talk to you about something? Privately?"

"Well, excuse me." Rocket shrugged and walked out of the room. Meredith pulled out the chair next to her for Pepper to sit in. Her face was pale and she was obviously worrying about something. Meredith just assumed it was Tony.

"Is everything okay? What's the matter?" Meredith asked her as she gave her a gentle but concerned look. Her eyebrows furrowed together when Pepper broke down crying. "What is it?" She glanced down as Pepper handed her an item. It was a pregnancy test, and it was positive. Her eyes widened. "Pepper, that's amazing!"

"But what if Tony never comes back? What if we never see him again? He'll never get to see his child. His child will never get to see him. I can't do this on my own, Mer. Not after what happened." She cried. Meredith reached over and grabbed her hands.

"No matter what happens, you will never be alone. I will always be here for you, Pep, you know that. We'll get through all of this together." She assured her. Pepper nodded and wiped away her tears.

"Thank you." She smiled sadly at her. Meredith nodded.

"It's exciting! I'm excited for you! You should be happy no matter what." Meredith gave her a bright smile. Pepper nodded in agreement, and suddenly, they both looked at each other as the ground beneath them began to shake. They both rushed out of the lab and to the main lobby, where everyone else had met up, too. "What is it?"

"I think it's Carol." Natasha said. As they all stepped outside and looked up, they saw a huge spaceship flying towards them with a glowing orb below it. She was right. Her heart thumped loudly in her chest as she hoped it was Tony and Peter. They all ran out towards it as she placed it on the ground. Meredith and Steve ran the fastest, up to the stairs as it opened up. As she looked up, a blue girl was helping Tony off. That must've been Nebula that Rocket was talking about. Meredith began to cry as she was happy and relieved to see that he was alive. Steve grabbed him and helped him down the set of stairs. He was frail and weak, and that was to be expected. They were all just glad he was still alive. Tony gave Steve an odd look as he saw him. After everything, he should've expected to see his face again. But he didn't, and he was shocked to see him after all this time. After everything he did to him and Meredith, all the pain. And he looked so different, with longer hair and a beard. Meredith cried out as she wrapped her arms around Tony tightly. He did the same, placing a kiss on her cheek as he held her as closely as he possibly could.

"I was so worried about you." He whispered out to her. She nodded as hot tears fell from her eyes quickly.

"I was worried about you, too. We all were. I love you so much, Tony." She held him again. She didn't want to lose him ever again. She was just so thankful that Carol brought him back to her. She was so scared he was gone.

"I love you more." He told her. She and Steve helped him back towards the compound. "I couldn't stop him."

"Neither could we." Steve replied.

"Hang on." Tony stopped them as he looked at both of them in the face with all seriousness. The tears in his eyes finally fell as he looked at Meredith with remorse. She knew what he was going to say, but she didn't want to hear it. "I lost the kid."