XI

ELEVEN
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

As they were working on their plan, Sam found a moment where he was alone with Steve. "So, is she the one?"

"Huh?" He asked.

"Meredith." He continued, and Steve gave him a look. "I mean, I see the way you look at her. I just wondered if she was your reason. The one who keeps you going."

"I guess so, yeah." He nodded. "Peggy is the one I've told you about. The one I lost. From my past." He told him.

"Well, what about Meredith? You obviously feel something for her." He pointed out.

"Yeah, you're right." He grinned just thinking about her. The chemistry that was between them was undeniable. It was the first person in the world he'd found was able to understand him, and he didn't even have to say anything. "I think this is my second chance. I get to start over. I wanna do it with her."

"Well, that's a little quick, don't you think?" He chuckled, and Steve did the same.

"That's not necessarily what I mean. Maybe marriage is an option in the future, but not now. I'm just saying she's the next step that I wanna take in readjusting to this new life. I wanna be with her, I guess I just don't know how to go about it. I don't know why it's so hard for me, why I'm so weird." He shook his head, but he was still laughing about it. It was so amusing to think about how childish he was acting.

"Well, I can tell she's obviously the one for you. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out." He told him. Steve wondered if he'd say the same about Peggy. For so long, she's been his one. How does that just change? He felt so bad for abandoning her, but she gave him his blessing. It's what she wanted for him. They'd always love each other in a way they couldn't love anyone else, but they obviously weren't meant to be together for some reason.

"Why do you say that?" He asked.

"I can just tell, dude. Listen, it's obvious she feels the same about you. Whatever move you wanna make, just go for it."

Locating Jasper Sitwell was easy. Once they did that, Meredith was able to hack his phone and say that the call he was receiving was from Pierce, when in reality, it was from Sam. "I need a minute. Bring the car around?" He told his bodyguards. They did so, and he answered the call. "Yes, sir?"'

"Agent Sitwell, how was lunch? I hear the crab cakes here are delicious." He told him. Every bit of his body movement paused as his feet went cold.

"Who is this?"

"The good-looking guy in the sunglasses, your 10 o'clock." Sam said, and he began looking around. "Your other 10 o'clock... there you go."

He watched as he raised his glass to him. He looked like an ordinary guy, and he had no idea who he was. This shouldn't be a problem. "What do you want?"

"You're gonna go around the corner to your right. There's a grey car two spaces down. You and I are gonna take a ride." He told him.

"And why would I do that?"

"Because that tie looks really expensive, and I'd hate to mess it up." He watched as Sitwell looked down and noticed the red laser on his chest. He looked around for the sniper, but he couldn't spot him. He did as he was told, and found himself on the roof of a building with Captain America and Iron Woman.

"Tell me about Zola's algorithm." Meredith demanded as Steve kicked him to the ground. She followed next to him quickly as they cornered him to the edge of the building. He quickly scrambled to his feet and placed his glasses back onto his face.