Chapter 8: Better or Worse?

I rubbed my eyes starting to wake up sitting up pretty fast having dreamed about Dustin again. My breathing was hard and I looked around, my room was pitch black and I could feel a heaviness in the room. I didn't know what it was but I pulled my blanket around myself and ran downstairs as fast as I could, the rest of the house was dark too and I jumped on the couch burying my face in my blankets. Munro was asleep on the love seat in the living room and I kept hugging myself trying to calm down but something was wrong. I could feel it but the more I tried to brush it off the worse the house seemed to be. I started to cry and needed air so I slipped out the front door closing it quietly behind myself hugging my blanket tighter around my chest. The air was cool and it was windy, my hair kept flying back exposing my pale face to the moonlight and it was quiet. Almost like the whole world had stopped moving, the nervous feeling kept making me feel sick to my stomach and I was on the verge of throwing up. I sat on the stairs becoming very dizzy, something was really wrong and I had no idea just how bad things were about to become. I closed my eyes feeling the wind against my cheeks blowing my hair to the left over my shoulder listening to the wind blow through the trees around me. I decided to get up and when I did a loud crack of lightning struck close to me scaring me enough to make my heart stop. "Oh god." I sighed laying my hand on my chest feeling my heart beating much faster. I walked back inside as it started to rain closing the door. The room was to quiet and had an uneasy feeling. Munro rolled over looking at me. "Mel....you okay?" He mumbled stretching out trying to get comfier. He yawned opening his arms. "Come here." I slipped into his arms laying next to him and he fixed my blanket over me holding me close. "Feel better? Now nothing is gonna hurt you." He said rubbing my cheek pushing my bangs out of my face. "Get some rest okay? I'll stay awake and watch you." I closed my eyes already half asleep, he was warm and I listened to the rain thudding on the porch and it lulled me to sleep along with Munro's heart beat. When I woke up it was still dark but it was nearing time to go to school. I yawned and Munro hugged my close covering my mouth. "Don't move." He whispered looking towards the stairs. "I looked back to see Dustin sneaking up my stairs. He hadn't seen us on the sofa so he assumed we were in my room. I was ready to scream and Munro knew it. He kissed me quickly to quiet me and told me to get behind the love seat and hide. "Stay here." He whispered getting up quietly sliding towards the stairs. I hugged my knees close sitting against the wall with the love seat in front of me. I covered my mouth trying to stay quiet. I pulled out my phone from my pocket texting Lucy. "Lucy, don't ask questions just call the cops now! Send them to my house NOW!!! This is an EMERGENCY!" I closed my phone sliding it back into my pocket peering around for Munro, he had slipped into the kitchen grabbing a knife and was at the side of the stairs out of sight from Dustin. I was on the verge of losing it and running to him but if I did that, it would endanger us both. Just as it got quiet we heard things being broken upstairs in my room, I jumped as I heard a window being broken. I could hear sirens in the distance and I began having hope things would end. I saw smoke starting to pour out of my room. "Oh no." I said to myself starting to slide out from behind the sofa but Munro motioned for me not to. He smelled the smoke and it sent instant fear over his face. Dustin was really going to burn down my home. I started to cry just as we heard sirens coming closer and Dustin heard them this time. He ran downstairs and out the front door not even noticing Munro. He was gone but now we had a fire blazing out of my room. "MUNRO!" I yelled climbing out from behind the sofa and running towards the stairs but he grabbed me back to him. "Melody we have to get out of here. Lets go." He said pulling me back towards the door. "I can't that's my room!" "I yelled forcing my way out of his arms running upstairs into my room. It was ablaze and I couldn't breathe. I held my sleeve over my face trying to find my bag, it had everything that mattered to me in it. My stuffed bunny, my photos, and my baby blanket. I couldn't lose them. My heart was breaking as I tried to open my closet but part of the roof had fallen in front of it. I starting shaking all over and my heart was racing. Was I about to die....being burned alive...everything was getting dark and breathing was getting harder. Munro had run in behind me and grabbed me just as I had collapsed. Dustin was getting away with ruining my life even more. Munro had picked me up over his shoulder and saw my bag and a few photos under the desk. He grabbed them and rushed out just as more of the ceiling fell in blocking my doorway behind us. I was in a daze and heard yelling and saw smoke but I can't remember much after that. Munro had told me he had ran out of the house and called the fire department, it only took a few minutes and they had arrived and started putting out the fire. I was scared and woke up in the hospital with Munro crying next to me holding onto my hand.