+The First Trial+

After we had discovered Byakuya Togami dead body, it was time to have a class trial. Everyone but one rode in the elevator down into the trial room where Monokuma instructed us to be at. Everyone was completely silent as we rode down, I peeked a look at Komaeda a few times. He looked unbothered, which was quite concerning. Finally, the elevator stopped and the doors opened up. Monokuma was standing ready to greet us.

"Ah! Welcome to the first trial of the killing game! Your job here is to find the blackened who stands among you all."

One of us killed Byakuya. The guy who tried his best to be our leader and help us out of here alive. That killer is standing among us, and I'll be damned if I let them get away with it.

Everyone had a podium with their face on it, however, Byakuya's face was crossed out. We began the trial, showing evidence and objecting others.

Until it came to Nagito Komaeda. He was closest to the lamp on the table, he could have just followed the cord and stabbed him with the knife he taped under the table that had glow paint on it to indicate where his weapon was. I didn't want to believe he would kill Togami, but all the evidence pointed to him.

"Nagito, you Killed Byakuya didn't you?"

"W-what? Hajime why would I kill someone?"

"Nagito, all the evidence points to you. You used the lamp cord to find your way to the table during the blackout, crawled under the table where Byakuya was and stabbed him with the knife you put there while cleaning. Am I correct, Komaeda?"

Nagito stuttered, not finding the right words to defend himself. Did he really kill someone? He was the first friend I made on the damned island and he killed someone? I trusted him, and he killed Byakuya?

My thoughts were interrupted by sadistic laughter booming throughout the "courtroom". Everyone's attention turned to Nagito, as he laughed like a maniac.

"Wow Hajime, you were completely right. All the way down to the glow paint and the knife. You caught me red-handed Hajime."

"I did?"

"But you got one thing wrong Hajime. I didn't kill Byakuya as I had planned."

"What? You were the only one who could've!" Akane sounded panicked.

"I'm not one to lie you know. You were right, I had planned to kill Byakuya. However, it didn't go as planned. Once I got under the table, Byakuya fought me and pushed me out from under the table. When the lights had turned back on he was dead."

"R-really?"

"Aww man, what a shame. Hajime came so close to find the culprit of the murder but he couldn't even do that. Hope really isn't on your side today Hajime."

In the end, we narrowed it down to two suspects, Nagito and Teruteru. But the case closed when Teruteru's lies came out. He crawled underneath the floorboards and stabbed Byakuya with a skewer, and hit it in the giant piece of meat.

We cast our votes. Teruteru was proven guilty. Large chains gripped Teruteru and dragged him so he could be punished. It was terrible to watch.

After the trial, I went back to my cottage in shock. Nagito was going to kill someone. He must've felt guilty right? Maybe I should go check on him.

I walked down the rows of cottages until I found his. I knocked on the door awaiting an answer. It was silent. I knocked again and I heard shuffling around inside the cottage. I was a bit scared, is Komaeda dangerous? He wouldn't hurt me, would he?

Suddenly the door opened, and there was Nagito in a sleepy state. It was cute, to say the least.

"Hajime, what are you doing here?"

"Well, I'm waiting for you to invite me inside" I teased.

Komaeda stared at me for a bit. Contemplating whether or not he should let me in.  After a few seconds, he stepped to the side allowing me access. I shuffled inside and to my surprise, it was clean. Everything was organized and tidied up, it was cleaner than mine.

"Why are you here Hajime?" Komaeda asked as he closed the door.

"I was just checking on you."

Komaeda's eyes widened. He stared at me then looked down at the floor.

"Why?"

" I don't know actually. I just felt I should I guess. Can I sit?"

Komaeda nodded his head slightly as I sat down on the sofa. I signaled for him to sit down.  He shuffled over and slowly sat next to me. 

"I wanted to talk to you about a few things."

"What would that be?"

"Well, uh, why'd you do it? Well I mean, why'd you try too?"

Komaeda laughed for a few seconds. Maybe I was right, maybe he was dangerous.

"Well, so all of you ultimates could use his death as a stepping stone, obviously. He was a great leader to us all, so he would be the perfect stepping stone!"

Komaeda's eyes were dull, except for the slight sparkle of insanity. I stared at him in disgust, how could he use Byakuya like that? He had to be lying, no sane human would think like that. There was a slight chance that maybe he wasn't even sane.

"You're lying."

"I don't lie, Hajime."

I placed my hands on his shoulders, which obviously caught him off guard. I tightened my grip as I looked Nagito straight in the eyes.

"What the hell is wrong with you Komaeda? Snap out of it! You're acting like a completely different person!"

Nagito broke eye contact by looking towards the floor.

"Sorry Hajime..."

I sighed. This wasn't the same person who helped me out when we arrived on the island.

"I just don't understand. You planned this out completely, you would've killed him if he didn't have those goggles. You would've been executed Komaeda."

"So what? If I was executed what would it matter?"

"What do you mean what would it matter? I would be alone! You're the only friend I have on this island, don't you understand that?"

Nagito looked back up towards me with a smile from ear to ear.

"Aw, I'm your friend Hajime?"

"Not the point Komaeda! You would've killed someone today."

Komaeda sighed.

"What was your real motive?"

"I wanted to end the game. I wanted you and everyone else to leave. I thought, maybe if I killed someone you could've left."

"We were going to vote for you! You would've died! You wouldn't have made it out with us."

"I was willing to do that. Trash like me can be used as a stepping stone for others"

I rolled my eyes.

"But you aren't trash."

Komaeda looked at me for a moment. He smiled at me and hugged me out of nowhere.

"Ah, thank you, Hajime for being so hopeful"

"Huh? Oh uh, no problem?"

Me and Komaeda sat on the couch for a bit, talking about random things, getting to know each other better. Eventually, it was around 2:00 am.  Nagito offered to walk me back to my cottage, just to make sure I got back safely. Even though our cottages were barely apart.  Talking to him really calmed my nerves about this whole killing game thing. It also made a decision that Nagito wasn't dangerous, he just made a mistake. I don't think everyone else is going to agree though.