Chapter Four - A Beautiful Mystery

*genkan - the entrance area of a Japanese house for taking shoes on and off

"Yes, Isamu-san. I see." His touch scorches me. Even after he draws away, my skin tingles. I rub the spot with my fingers.

He says he's not a spirit or demon, and maybe he isn't. I still can't shake the feeling something is off. His manner is polite enough, but his gaze fixes me like a predator's. He tells me that he lives alone in the forest, yet his kimono is the richest silk, gorgeously patterned azure flames licking up sapphire blue sleeves.

Nothing adds up. How does no one know about Isamu? I've heard no talk of an albino man in the woods. I want to ask him more, but when he looks at me, I forget to. His speech is refined, his features slender and noble. Were his skin and hair not pure white, any woman would be pleased to have him. Isamu is a mystery I am compelled to unravel.

He's looking at me expectantly. Did he ask a question? What was it? Oh no! I stop breathing, my heart flutters. "I'm sorry, I... my attention seems to have drifted. What were you saying?"

My cheeks burn to admit it. Did he notice my lapse? I feel horrible! What must he think of me? He... He can see right through me. His smile is coy, as if my feelings are a secret we share between us. How can eyes be such a color, or so clear? Like the rest of him, they appear to glow in the darkness.

My whole body flushes under the intensity of that gaze, my insides squeezing tight.  I feel the slick heat pool between my legs. I reposition, anxious for my garments. It is too late, the wetness cools against my skin when I settle. I watch his nostrils flare, and I swear he is breathing in my scent! I don't know whether to kiss him or flee, so I sit frozen instead. I feel like a helpless rabbit.

"I asked if you were married. A woman of your years typically is." He says it the way a much older person would. His countenance is unlined by age, but there is a strength or presence to this man that exceeds his youthful appearance.

"I... no. Not anymore. I was. My husband died." It feels wrong to speak of Shouta with Isamu-san.

"I am sorry for your loss." His words are kind, but he does not seem sad to hear the news.

"Thank you."

I hear voices! We simultaneously rise. I remain on the wooden deck, he stands tall in the dark garden. I recognize her voice shattering the peace of the summer night. Yoshiro and Natsumi are approaching the front of the home. Why are they back already? From the sound of it, she is in a foul mood, too! I am certain I will hear her side soon - all of it slanted to make her the victim.

She must not catch me alone with a strange man, especially not one who looks like this! She will accuse me of giving myself to a fiend! I feel guilty because a part of me desires him!

"Go!" I urge in a hushed whisper. "Quickly! Please! Before they find you!" My eyes plead with his. He nods solemnly. His hand reaches out and cups my cheek. I find myself leaning into his warm, dry palm. My hand holds his in place. I don't want him to go.

"Ho-taah-ruuu! Where are you?" Natsumi screeches, her voice shrill. She is in the house now, removing her sandals in the genkan. I cringe at her call, but it catches my attention. For a bare second I glance back at the house.

"Isamu-san..." When I turn back, I expect to see him walking into the forest. Instead, he has vanished without a trace.