Chapter Eleven - The Wicked Fox

*tobakujou - gambling den

*noppera-bo - a type of yōkai with no facial features

I hear him running through the brush, panting and stomping. Humans are so loud. Even without the noise, I can smell him. 'Man' is a distinct odor. He's sweating in the muggy air, but it's not the cloying heat that beads his temples. His terror is a perfume in my nostrils.

"Jiro! Where are you?"

"Over here," I whisper from the lengthening shadows, throwing the sound so that it echoes in multiple directions at once. He spins in place, looking around in terror. The trees press close. I hear the frantic thumping of his laboring heart.

"Jiro!"

I laugh softly to myself, a dry, throaty chuckle that  reverberates through the swaying green. He takes off again. Here, rabbit, rabbit... I pad behind slowly, quite invisible. My despicable grin is a wide, dark slash.

The truth is, I have been having such an amusing time in this town, creating havoc and mayhem when I haven't been seducing you. I love tormenting your species. I am not overly fond of humans, I'm afraid, although I make an exception for you, sweet Hotaru. Can you blame me? How have your people been treating you?

Just a little something to consider before you judge me ill. Think of it as comeuppance, if you wish. Those who are currently suffering have earned my attention, and someone must balance the scales. Why should it not be me? I am performing a valuable service in my opinion.

I knew these fools were coming long before they set foot in my wood. They boasted of their intentions proudly in a tobakujou, filled with liquid courage. That was hours ago. The first ran away quickly when my miasma flooded the dark glen. The man called Jiro is in a ditch with a shattered leg, his own fault. This one is lost and alone in the woods with a vicious demon.

I want to feast on his heart, and the temptation is strong.  Hot meat popping between my serrated teeth... blood coursing down my throat...

Well, they did come to slay me, after all. I am in my rights as a superior predator. Unfortunately I can't take the risk of the townsfolk combing the woods. They might find my lair, or worse - you! They can try to kill me, but you, my darling, they will torture to death.

I might not be able to eat the man-thing as I wish, but I have a goodly trick to keep him from ever stepping a toe in these woods again. There's a perfect clearing up ahead. And that is where I set my bait.

"I'm here," I whisper in the broken man's voice.

With a broadleaf on the crown of my head, I transform into the likeness of his friend and hunker down, unmoving. I hear the human's feet approach from behind, then slow as he sees me huddled on the forest floor.

"Jiro!"

I don't answer.

"Jiro?"

He breathes hard and fast. I smell his fear. Step by timid step he draws nearer. He's worried and afraid of what he'll find, but he must know! I grin to myself. This will be good.

He reaches out and touches my shoulder. "Jiro?" His voice shakes.

I turn to look up at him without a face. The human screams and stumbles backward. I stand in a fluid motion and turn my featureless countenance to him. He barely keeps his feet, backing away as I walk steadily closer.

"Noppera-bo!" The human takes off in full panic. I laugh long and hard. Everyone will think he's a raving lunatic of a drunk! That he is indeed one of the town lushes will convince everyone.

My entertainment over with, it is time to go about my new favorite game, which is hurting Natsumi. Let us torture her together before we go, hmm? I will cook a little something up special just for her. When I am through, you will be avenged. This is my gift to you for accepting me.

You should rest tonight, and recover for what lies ahead. Sleep deep, my precious blossom. Last night you gave me so much more than I deserve. And I took, because that is what I do. However, this does not mean I am ungrateful. I honor your love for me, Hotaru. I seek to become everything you need me to be.