Chapter Nine - The Sakura Grove

I watch you walk across the green expanse, back to your life. I don't want to let you go. What am I feeling just now? Remorse? No. I have no notion of 'guilt' - that's a human thing. I tell myself that I am only intrigued by my new toy and regret letting you go. Yes. That must be it.

Once you are safe inside, I retreat into the shadows, back to my abode. My lair looks very different when you are not here. It is the mimicry of my palace in the World on the Other Side of the Shadows, far better suited to my personality. I have a flair for ostentation.

Tonight I decide we shall do something different, meaningful, to reward you for your trust. I feel compelled to make a grand gesture. So once you fall asleep, I summon your spirit to my castle in the yōkai realm...

You stand on the rise of a bridge in the distance, framed by a black and starless night. The sakura grove surrounding the lake is fixed in eternal spring. In spite of the summer heat that stifles the mortal world, there is an ever present chill in this realm. Accordingly, you are clad in the layered vestments of a refined lady.

I approach you, a parasol on my shoulder to keep the rain of cherry blossoms at bay. You peer into the lake, where large koi fish glide below the still, black surface.

"What is this place?" I hear you ask.

"We are in my world now, a solitary kingdom I created from a patch of night long ago."

You look up as I draw near and gasp. I do not hide my fairest form. This is the closest to human I can transform into before I must glamour my ears and tail from view. It is in dreams you shall adjust to my yōkai nature. I have decided I will keep you, so you must get used to me as I am.

"You-you're... but... is this a dream, Isamu-san?"

"Yes, and no."

Tears fill your eyes. "Who - what are you?"

I take your delicate hands in my own. The difference between us is striking, my fingers long and clawed. "Someone who loves you."

Wait... why did I say that? I am shocked by my own words, but the effect is all I could hope for. Your gaze softens immeasurably.

"Can a kitsune fall in love?"

I cock my head to the side. "I've heard it said so. I never have before." This is strange. I cannot lie to you. I find the sensation curious and unsettling.

"I am afraid," you admit. "Of you, this... of everything, really."

"I long to set your heart at ease. That is why I brought you to my true home. You are the first and only human to see it. Do you like it?"

You look around. "It is beautiful. And that? Is that yours, too?" You point to the magnificently peaked, black-and-gold castle standing formidably in the center of my territory.

"Yes, Hotaru-san. I am lord here."

Our reflections stand on the inky surface of the nighttime pool. I am relieved you do not look down. The water's surface reveals my true form, the nine-tailed horror at the core of me. You are not ready to see that, perhaps never. Humans are blinded by outer appearances. As long as I remain beautiful to your eyes, monster or not, you will accept me.

"Do demon lords get lonely," you ask.

I smile sadly. "Oh, yes. Most of us are."

"You're lonely," you observe.

"Yes," I agree.

You reach up tentatively to pet my ear. I welcome your touch, pleased this gesture is of your own volition. I lean my head down to make it easier. Your hand is gentle and my fur is soft. My eyes close and I sigh in contentment. Gradually you grow less timid. A trill rumbles in my chest, purring up my throat in pure animal bliss.

You make one of those high pitched coos and smile in feminine delight. This makes me deliriously happy! My joyous smile is not feigned. You stop and hold my cheek, then stand on your toes to kiss my lips. I could not be more surprised. I stare at you in shock. Now it is I who cannot breathe.

I take you in my arms and wrap my tail around your waist. My ears flatten back as I return your kiss. Your mouth opens without hesitation, your tongue licks my fang. The point slices and draws blood. It isn't much, but copper and salt explode on my tongue and I drink from the tiny wound. I press you more firmly to me, scarcely aware I am doing so.

Your hand pushes against my chest. I heed you and stop at once. I pull back, but do not entirely release you from my embrace. Your eyes are shining. "I don't care if you are a Wild Fox. I... I think I love you, Isamu."

This feeling is like soaring! You actually want me. I have never felt accepted before, certainly not like this! My heart beats faster, my blood ringing in my fluff-filled ears. All I can see is you.

"Let me make you happy, Hotaru." I drop the honorific from your name. "I can, I know it. Let me try, at least. I will take you far away from those people. Say the word and I will make you mine."

This time when you kiss me, it is I who open my lips to yours. I feel elated and conflicted. I never intended to let you know how much I've come to care for you.