Chapter Fifteen - Isamu's Rage

*shinshoku- Shinto priest; also called jinshu and kannushi

I hear you scream and it drives me mad!
The human males drag you away. How dare they? You are mine! I struggle against the spiritual binds the priest has locked around me. I thrash and resist, but it is no use. My arms and tails are held fast. Then you are gone, my precious Hotaru.

"No!" I shriek in my anguish and ire. It is a terrible sound, hideous and screeching. Only a demon could make such a noise. All I want is to get to you. I will slay those men and eat them! I will burn the house you hate to the ground!

"Hotaru!" I rasp in a paper-thin voice. I no longer have a human mouth for proper man speech.

"You cannot have her, monster. You have done enough damage here. No more! In the name of Inari Okami, I will cast you back to your realm and lock you there!"

I rage, and the magical bonds the little man holds me with begin to snap. My tails pull free and writhe. I see the strain on his face as he tries to hold me. I am ancient and strong, and this priest is only mortal after all. Yet he is powerful. He has never been corrupted. With all of my senses, I am aware of the direct channel of power from the kami to this holy man. The cleric and I are locked in a battle of wills.

I cannot fight him here in the god's former seat by day, that much is obvious. The sun is beginning to penetrate the clouds beyond the entrance. The summer storm is over. I haven't much time, for that will increase his powers and diminish mine. There is no choice.

In desperation I break the remaining bonds and it takes all that I have to do it. I dive into the shadows as if they were a pool of water. The sensation is similar, the cool, inky darkness swallowing me whole. The priest cannot follow me here. This is a yōkai place, the In-Between, and it is the portal to my world.

I may not be able to go back to my realm yet, but I can hide in the shadows. It is best to flee the miserable shinshoku for now. I will wait and bide my time. Do not be afraid, lover. Ōmagatoki is only a few hours away. I have to consider my options and plan accordingly. I will not waste this opportunity to strategize.

Ah, Hotaru... Will you still desire me after this? You have seen my true face, not at all fair to look upon. I can be anyone and anything for you, but this shape remains my core truth. I am a yōkai. Yet, that doesn't change anything. I love you. I hope you can see past this in time. In fact, I know you will. If you cannot forget, you will forgive it.

I follow your trail along the Shadow Paths, so I know where they are taking you. Back home to the man den. You are slung over your brother's shoulder. Your protests hearten me. You want me to rescue you. I will, I swear it!

But first I must feed to be at full strength for what lies ahead. The reaping of hearts is about to begin in the back alleyways of the town. It is so easy to pluck unsuspecting, lone mortals from the shadows and drag them into the deeper darkness unseen. I feast with abandon, such hot blood and juicy meat! I lick the viscous fluid from my fingers and hands, only to do it again across town.

Meanwhile let them try to keep you 'safe.' They think to use you as bait to lure me in, I'm sure. Fools. I know their games. By all that is evil, I invented some of them! I grin ruthlessly in the darkness, the bloodstained slaver running from my jaws. My claws curl in anticipation of the damage I shall inflict! Nobody takes what is mine! Certainly not that pathetic priest and the silly little mouse you call a brother! I told you we are going to my castle, and I keep my word.

Tonight I am coming for you, Hotaru, and I will burn everything in my path that gets in the way.