14

Their last night they visited the Trevi Fountain. She tossed a coin, wishing to be with Xander for a long time. The week had been eye-opening with how he treated her. Never once did they argue. When a disagreement arose, they talked through it and came to an agreement. Not once did he ask her to become his mate or about showcasing her artwork. She couldn't wait to get home and start on a new collection.

"Make a wish?" Xander asked, pulling her back to the present.

"Yes, but if I tell you it won't come true," she joked, sitting on the edge of the fountain.

"True." He gave her a serious look nodding.

"Come here and take a picture with me." She tugged him down and held out her phone, trying to get a wonderful shot of them and the fountain.

"Would you like help?" an older woman asked.

"Yes, thank you." Roxie handed her the phone and settled against Xander. He wrapped an arm around her waist and kissed her temple. She looked up at him and could see the love in his eyes.

"Oh, you two are so much in love. Are you on your honeymoon?" the woman's voice made them jump.

"Oh no, we are just dating," Xander answered.

"Mate her quick, you two are meant to be." She gave a wink and returned Roxie's phone, walking off. Roxie stared at Xander, afraid he might have been made uncomfortable.

"You know how I feel, Roxie. You are my mate and I'll happily marry you any day. You tell me when you are ready, I'll wait however long you need." Xander placed a chaste kiss on her lips.

"This week has been amazing and you've shown me how a genuine man treats a woman. I'm just afraid I'm not good enough. I want to contribute to our relationship financially and I can't see myself going back to being a secretary." Roxie leaned against him, listening to the fountain bubble behind her.

"Would you be willing to let me showcase your work? I'll treat you like all my other artists in residence, not as a mate. We can even get the paintings from your ex and sell them for your alimony," Xander offered.

"Can I think about it over dinner?" She wasn't sure she was ready for the world to see her work. Mitch's words continued to echo in her head. You will never be more than mediocre at painting.

"I won't push you." Xander took her hand and led her to the waiting car.

"To Chef Antonio's," Xander instructed.

"I've not heard of that restaurant," Roxie commented, as the car drove down several small streets.

"It's not. My friend Antonio invited us to dinner, and I thought you'd like to meet some other dragon shifters."

"That is awesome. I'd love to meet your friends. When do I get to meet your parents and Rhett?"

"Maybe at the next family dinner. It would be nice not to be the only one without a mate. Josie started her Mate Me service to find me a mate. Lucky for me, you showed on the first night." Xander pulled her close, kissing her temple.

"I know Josie was trying to introduce to you Evvy when we met."

"That she was. But Evvy doesn't hold a candle to you. The second I saw you, I wanted you."

"You practically had me at hello. I'm not sure we wouldn't have had sex in the office if your brother hadn't knocked."

"Poor timing and wording. I worried I'd lost you when Rhett called you my hook up." The car stopped at a small home with flower beds hanging from each window.