Chapter 6: Rest

Y/N POV

All of us were assigned a role to play in apprehending Torchwick and his White Fang goons. I was sent to scout the perimeter to find any possible escape routes. Honestly, it was probably the most boring out of all the other tasks, afterall, I've been waiting on the rooftop of a nearby building for the past two hours. That's when I heard the sound of car crashes and the stomping of metal feet. Looking down, I saw Yang and Neptune on a motorcycle, pursuing a robot mech as the others rushed to join them. However, my thoughts were interrupted by the familiar sound of heels behind me.

"Neo?"

The ice cream themed girl just stood there silently, those mismatched eyes staring into mine. The way she was holding her umbrella told me that this wasn't a friendly reunion.

"Neo, what's wrong?" I ask, concern and dread gnawing at my insides.

The only answer I got was a silent stare and a look of sadness and regret. This wasn't going to end well. Both of us got into battle stances, anticipating the opponent's next move.

"Please, Neo, I don't want to fight you," I plead.

Neo just sadly shook her head before running towards me. Gripping my cane, I attempted to block the attack. However, "Neo" shattered as her umbrella made contact with my cane. Sensing movement behind myself, I turned around only to feel a hard jab in the stomach, causing me to double over.

'I'm not gonna fight her. There has to be some justification to this. Some piece of the puzzle that I'm missing,' I thought.

I was suddenly taken out of my thoughts as Neo places a hard kick to my side, effectively knocking me off the rooftop and falling towards the cold, hard pavement. The sickening crunch of bones accompanied the shattering of my aura. Bending over and on my knees, I looked into the puddle of my own blood. In the reflection was myself, except something was missing. The silver color in my eye had faded away completely, leaving two black orbs staring back at me. After a while, I heard Neo's approaching footsteps, probably getting ready to finish the job.

"I don't hate you," I say weakly to the short girl.  This seemed to make her realize the events that had just transpired. The guilt-ridden girl walked towards me, this time with no hostility in her eyes as she reached a hand out towards me.

"Get away from him!" a familiar voice yells.

A blur of red roses sped straight towards Neo. Ruby.

Using all the energy left inside, I activated my semblance for most likely the last time. As time slowed down around me, I trudged towards Neo in an attempt to push her out of harms way. However, right before I was able to push Neo out of the way, time began to take it's usual pace. Acting out of impulse, I shoved Neo away as far as I could, before I felt the coolness of metal. The coldness was soon accompanied by a burning pain, igniting my nerves as I struggled to grasp onto consciousness.

"Y/N!" Ruby ran towards me, dropping her bloodstained scythe as she attempted to stem the blood flow. "Please, stay with me...I can't lose someone, not again."

"H-hey, Cookie Monster..." I stutter.

"You're gonna be fine Y/N!" Ruby shouts in panic. "Just stay with me."

"It's getting dark..." I say, reaching my hand out, hoping to feel the warmth of Neo's hand.

'Why can't I feel anything?'

"Ruby? Are you there? Aren't you saying anything?" I ask, panic seeping into my mind.

All my senses seemed to leave my body as I prepared to finally reunite with my mother.

"I know I shouldn't, but I wanna sleep. I know I made a promise, but I just want to rest..." I mutter as I feel the last of my willpower slowly slip away.

The bed of white roses cushioned me as I fell backwards. Looking up, I saw a figure with black hair with red tips staring out into the rising sun.

"Did I save her?" I ask.

The figure turned around to my question. "Mhm," he nods.

"I'm really tired," I groan. The figure crouched next to me.

"I know you're tired. Tired of responsibility," the figure states. "It's alright, you can rest now."

"Thank you..." I mutter as my eyelids grew heavier and heavier until all I saw was darkness.

Third Person POV

The figure walked away as the bloodstained roses covered Y/N. "You've dealt with enough. I'll take over for now," the figure says.

Timeskip

Neo POV

I've done many horrible things in my life, but realizing how I crippled Y/N shook me to the core. I broke him with no hesitation, he didn't even try to fight back. I'm a monster. Silently weeping, I looked over to the medical cradle currently holding his lifeless body. The only person other than Roman that I could call a friend was gone. I would do anything to bring him back. Anything.