Chapter 7: Loss

Ruby POV

He was gone. The only reminder I had of my mother was gone. The only brother I had was gone, and I killed him.

The events that occurred were still fresh in my mind. The sickening sound of Crescent Rose ripping into Y/N, the stickiness of his blood, the blood that's now on my hands.

Neo POV

Ever since that night, all I've done is cry in my room. Y/N's barely alive and the doctors had to put him on life support. It was that girl, she did this to him.

'But I hurt him too...'

Wiping away my tears, I got off of my bed. Heading towards the medical bay, I encountered Roman.

"Hey kid, how are you holding out?" Roman asks in concern.

"Fine," I reply on my scroll, not convincing Roman to the slightest.

"If you're heading to see him, be prepared." Roman says. "The doctors just gave me some bad news."

This caused me to panic as I bolted past Roman and through the doors of the medical bay. Y/N was hooked up to a bunch of machines keeping him alive, barely. A White Fang medic was checking his vitals when he noticed my presence.

"Ah, Neo. Mr. Torchwick told me that you would be coming," the medic says.

"How is he?" I ask with my scroll.

"Well...Not well," the Faunus starts. "He's currently suffering from mental degeneration."

"What does that mean?" I ask, dread consuming me.

"It means that he's slowly losing his mind, literally," the medic replies. "And if the only functioning part of him at the moment is his mind then..."

He didn't have to finish the sentence. If this continues then Y/N will die for sure.

'And I'll lose him for good...'

All I could do now was take a good look of my friend, for the last time. I sat next to him on the bed, stroking his hair. I could of sworn there was a small smile forming on his face. However, something else caught my attention. Instead of F/C tips, Y/N had black hair and red tips.

"What's happened?" I ask the medic.

"My goodness..." the White Fang member mutters. "His mind...It's completely degenerated and regenerated at the same time."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm not entirely sure myself, but his vitals are growing stronger." he responds. "It's almost as if he's being reborn."

'Please, I've done many horrible things in my life, but please let him be alive...'

That's when his eyes opened. Both black eyes looking into my mismatched ones.

"Hello," Y/N says quite cheerfully.

Overwhelmed with joy, I pulled him into a tight embrace.

"I appreciate the gesture, but do I know you?" he asks, obviously confused.

I looked towards the medic for answers. "It seems that the regeneration in turn caused him to lose his memories, he's a different person now."

How cruel. Even when he's back, he doesn't even remember who I am. But at least he's breathing again.

"Come on, we have a lot to talk about," I say on my scroll as the medic began unhooking Y/N from the various machines.

"Uh ok," Y/N replies, still quite confused.

Ruby POV

I was sitting in the courtyard, despair taking hold of me as I thought back on the time I've spent with Y/N. However, the sound of approaching footsteps caused me to look up.

"What do you want, Jaune," I say sadly.

"Can I sit?" Jaune asks. I moved over in response. "Thanks."

"What do you want?" I repeat.

"I just wanted to cheer you up," Jaune says.

"Yang sent you, didn't she?"

"That's not the point!" Jaune exclaims. "Look, I know how you feel. If somebody I loved died I'd be pretty sad too."

"But you haven't experienced anything like this..." I say, starting to tear up.

"It's painful enough for the rest of us to see you like this. So please, just cheer up, if not for yourself, do it for your team," Jaune pleads.

"I'm sorry if I worried you guys, but I can't get over this. I refuse to," I respond, tears streaming down my face. "I have to take responsibility for my actions."

"He wouldn't want that," Jaune says.

"I DON'T CARE!" I shout. "I KILLED HIM! I KILLED MY OWN BROTHER!"

Jaune just stared at me, shocked by my outburst.

"Sorry, but I think it's time you left," I say, crying.

After Jaune left, I continued to cry at the loss of Y/N.

'Please, if you're still out there, come back to us.'

A/N: Hey guys, hope you enjoyed the story so far. Sadly, this will be the last chapter I publish for the next 2 months.