14 🦕

"Levi!" I shout again, louder than before. Everything is in complete silence, not even the wind blows on the treetops and ruffles their leaves. And just as I am about to walk away, a roar comes from behind me. "Was that... Levi?"

With my shaking hands, I place my finger on my lips and whistled loudly for confirmation. It took a couple of seconds later that another roar came from the same direction. 

This is either Levi or some other large carnivore.

The treetops violently move from their place as something big goes through them. I crouch as low as I can, trying to hide on the tall grass yet still keep an eye on what's coming. The ground shakes from the heavy footsteps, closing in to where I crouched. Another roar reaches my ears, this time closer than before.

Two seconds later, the trees on the treeline are broken in half as an oh-so-familiar white dinosaur runs through them without a care in the world. He stops right at the edge of the field, his ember eyes gaze over the grassy area. His head looks from side to side, searching for the source of the whistle that caught his attention.

Will he remember me? Will he be angry enough to kill me?

I can see blood smeared around the tip of his snout, some even dripping down his lower jaw. He raises his nose and sniffs, then leans down to the ground and does the same. I can still remember when he did the same while we played hide and seek in his enclosure.

In frustration, he claws out massive chunks of dirt and lets out a loud, angry growl. 

It's now or never. 

Very slowly and hesitantly, I stand up to my full height and take a deep breath to calm myself.

"Levi," I call out. It isn't below a whisper or louder than a shout, but he hears me nonetheless, loud and clear. His head snaps in my direction, his lips pull upwards in a snarl – ready to attack whatever made the sound – before he froze.

My heart hammers hard against my ribcage as I patiently wait for his next move. His eyes are unblinking as he unfreezes to crouch and stand on his fours. Loud puffs of air come out of his nose as he sniffs the air in my direction, to be sure who I am. His head jerks back as he sniffs some more and his tail begins to wag from side to side, flattening the tall grass under it.

He moves his hand forward as he resumes his sniffing the air, crawling closer by the second. To say I am terrified would be an understatement, but I am less than what I thought I would be. My mental predictions consisted of me frozen in place with my legs shaking.

Once Levi is about ten meters away from me, I took a step back every forward he takes. But one step of his is five of mine, and soon enough he is right in front of me. His nose is less than a meter away from my face, warm, metallic scented air blasts onto my sweaty face.

A tremor from the volcano breaks me out of my state of fear as my head snaps toward the direction of the mountain, only to see rocks flying in the air. But then, a loud whine brought me back to what I was doing.

I turn around and my eyes meet his glistening ones, I can't hold it anymore. I don't care if he eats me, I just want to hug him again, even if it is my last time.

"Levi, I missed you so much," With that, I take a step forward and hug his bloodied snout, doing my best not to mind the strong metallic smell. Much to my surprise, incredibly loud whines come from his throat and escape his mouth. I can hear branches breaking as his tail swishes from side to side like a dog who hasn't seen its owner for ages.

And the much-expected happens. His bloody, smelly tongue licks my face.

"Levi!" I pull away and try my best to wipe his bloody saliva off my face. "I missed you too but not this much," I chuckle. He continues to whine, but at a much lower volume now. And places his snout on the ground so he can look me at eye level. He likes to see the world from my point of view when we are laying around. "Okay, I missed you this much."

I hug the side of his face and feel warm tears trail down my cheeks. All of the emotions I've been holding for the past three years break out.

"I'm so sorry I didn't come back. I truly am. I tried so many times but they wouldn't let me, but now I'm here, and I'm taking you out of here."

--------

Aww, they met again! Are you guys happy?

I'm happy.

Are you guys enjoying the story so far? I hope you are.

Updates will take a bit longer. I'll be traveling soon and have only a few chapters that are already written. I'll try my best to write more, but no promises.

Make sure to follow me!

Don't forget to vote and comment on what you thought, and 'see' you in the next chapter.