8- Prison Break

Tony was helping Rhodey get used to his new mechanical legs that Tony had designed to help him walk again.

"You think of anything you let me know, suspension, cup holders?"

"Maybe some ac down here." Rhodey said before he fell to the ground.

Tony was by his side in a second trying to help him up.

"No, no. Don't help me." Rhodey said turning and sitting on the ground. "138, 138 combat mission. That's how many I've flown into, everyone of them could've been my last, but I flew them. Because the fight needed to be fought. It's the same with these accords. I signed because it was the right thing to do and yeah this sucks, this is uh, this is a bad beat but it hasn't changed my mind. I don't think." Rhodey said.

Tony reached out a hand and helped Rhodey up off the floor.

A noise was banging on the glass as a FedEx delivery man pulled up to the door.

"Is this Tony Stank?" The man asked reading the package.

"Yes, yes this is Tony Stank!" Rhodey shouted. "Thank you for that!"  Rhodes said turning around and using the pole to walk. "Never dropping that by the way. Table for Mr. Stank. Please, by the bathroom."

Tony opened the package and pulled out a letter.

"Tony,
I'm glad you're back at the compound. I don't like the idea of you rattling around a mansion by yourself. We all need family. The avengers are yours maybe more so then they are mine. I've been on my own since I was eighteen. I never really fit in anywhere even in the army. My faiths in people, I guess individuals and I'm happy to say for the most part they haven't let me down which is why I can't let them down either. Locks can be replaced but maybe they shouldn't. I know I hurt you Tony. I guess I thought by not telling you about your parents, I was sparing you but I can see now I was really sparing myself. I'm sorry, hopefully one day you can understand. I wish we agreed on the accords, I really do. I know you're doing what you believing in. That's all you can do, that's all really any of us should do. So no matter what. I promise you, if you need us, if you need me. I'll be there."

It was a letter from Steven Rogers that came with a burner flip phone as well.

***
Meanwhile at the Raft Prison...

Wanda was leaning with her back against the cell door, her upper half still strapped with straps and a power dampening collar.

I tugged at mine while I paced around keeping an eye on the guards that were walking and back forth between the cells.

Lang was playing the drums on his table, while Clint lie staring at the ceiling. Sam paced back and forth in his cell.

Rattling was heard outside of the cell room, up above where the security and control center was located.

"Hey Clint." I said to him.

"What's up, Carter?" He asked.

"I told you he'd come." I said smiling.

The guard banged his baton against the cell door aggressively. "No talking prisoner!" He yelled.

He clearly hadn't heard the banging around up top.

I got right up in his face. The only thing keeping me from getting him was the cell door.

Just kidding.

"I'm sorry sir." I said to him before I reached through the bars and slammed his head against it knocking him unconscious.

I managed to grab ahold of his key card and opened my cell door as the other guard was coming to restrain me.

I pointed my watch at him and clicked it sending a taser dart at him which penetrated his neck electrocuting him as he fell to the ground.

"Thanks Nat." I said as I found the key to the collars. I quickly undid mine before making my way towards Wanda's cell.

"You could've done that the entire time?" Sam scoffed.

"I just needed to wait for the right time." I said swiping the locks as I walked past.

I opened Wanda's cell and helped her up onto her bed.

I undid the power dampening collar before using one of the guards knives to cut her free.

She smiled at me and nodded before hugging me.

"Thank you." She whispered.

"Come on, we gotta go." I said standing up as we started for the cell door that lead to the hallway.

It opened as we neared it and a man and a woman walked through the doorway.

It was Natasha and Steve.

I didn't know what had gone down in Siberia but by the look on Cap's face it clearly wasn't good.

Him and Sam gave each other a warm embrace as well did Nat and Clint.

Nat smiled at me and nodded her head. "I see you received my gift?" She asked me.

"Thanks for that." I said to her.

I looked at Steve as we entered the Quinjet. "I knew you'd come back."

"Always. We're a family." Steve said as he closed the hatch before he headed to the co-pilot seat.

The Falcon lifted the Quinjet into the air.

Bucky was lying against the wall fast asleep, his metal arm had been blown off.

Natasha sat down next to him and crossed her legs as he slept.

"What will you do?" She asked Clint.

"I'm going back into retirement. Try to hatch out a deal with Ross, house arrest sort of thing. Spend time with my family." 

"That's a good idea." Natasha said.

"What about you?" She asked looking at Lang.

"I'm going to try and do the same thing Clint's doing, I can't imagine leaving my daughter for jail again." He said as he rested against the wall.

Natasha looked at Sam. "I already know what your plan is."

Sam smiled at her. "I go where Steve's goes."

I looked at Wanda. "What will you do?"

She shrugged. "I have some things I need to figure out with Vision."

My face fell a little but I tried my best to hide it.

Wanda smiled at me. "But something tells me I'll be back. How about you?"

"I'm going to stay with Steve. I can't go home, not after this." I said looking at them. "This team.. they're the only thing I got left."

***
"You sure about this?" Steve asked Bucky.

He was wearing a white tank top and had a sleeve over the knob where his arm was blasted off.

"I can't trust my own mind. So until they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head, I think going back under is the best thing."

Steve nodded.

"For everybody." Bucky finished.

Steve watched as the tube closed around Bucky's body where they froze him to sleep.

Steve stared out the window where T'Challa approached him.

"Thank you for this." Steve said to him.

"Your friend and my father. They were both victims. If I can help one of them find peace." T'Challa spoke.

"You know if they find out he's here." Steve started. "They'll come for him."

T'Challa looked out at the giant Black Panther statue that stood as a shrine to Wakanda.

"Let them try."